What's new
What's new

Data Transfer on Studer S30 Lean Pro

bshort1023

Plastic
We have a "new to us" Studer S30 Lean Pro. I have been tasked with connecting to the machine via laptop for data transfer. The only port is a 25-pin serial port. I would like to go 25-pin to USB as COM1. Anything special I need to know? Do I need a special cable? I have v 1.02.12 of the StuderGrind software.

Thanks for any help,

Bill Short
Newtown, PA

Standard serial to USB or any special pin configuration? The documentation reads like the machine may explode if you don't buy the cable from Studer, lol.

Both DB25 and USB are standards, so I don't think you should have any trouble using an off-the shelf adapter. A cursory glance at available adapters shows there seem to be a couple different types of cable - one specifically for printers and one for other serial devices. I would guess you want the latter. Not sure what's different about them, maybe the printer cables don't have all 25 signal paths present.

With respect to serial data using the RS232 connector, there are standards,
lots of them! Firstly there is DCE vs DTE wiring which involves how
pins 2 and 3 are wired. The other pins may come into play or not.
Generally you can figure it out using a voltmeter.

Standard USB-25 Pin Serial Cable worked but it required a Null Modem to speak to the S30. The rest was just getting the settings correct between the laptop and the S30. Thanks for the help.

Back