What's new
What's new

Delta-Milwaukee Toolmaker Surface Grinder 24-105

rgerlach

Aluminum
I have acquired one of these grinders and need to transport it home. Does any one have an idea of what the weight is for this beast? Also any suggestions on partial disassembly to make the move easier.

Thanks,

Ron

These are easy to disassemble into manageable pieces. The table lifts off, the legs unbolt, the entire spindle head is easily removed etc. You shouldn't have any trouble transporting it in a pickup truck, with some lifting help getting it in and out.

Someone, possibly you, just asked this question on the ToolGrinding newsgroup. Here's what I replied:

"About 750 pounds.

Easy to disassemble to make transport easier. Head comes off - you'll need a 1-1/4" wrench for the column nut. Remove the wheel so you won't rest the head on it and hurt the spindle. Pull the column and the table, then take the main casting off the legs. The main casting is the heaviest part.

I carried mine home in the back of an Explorer. Disassembly took a half hour or so, with the help of the owner.

Lots of Allen screws, so be prepared."

Manual and parts list are available online, and it wouldn't hurt to look at them beforehand and bring them along. Everything was straightforward as I recall, except maybe for the spring-loaded dust cover on the cross feed screw.

Back