What's new
What's new

Diaform 5/1

Sorriso

Plastic
Good afternoon folks. I'm from Brazil, and I'm using the translator, so don't notice.
I work in a company, around 6 years, only with flat grind, and then the guy who was working on the diaform left, and left for me that, but I'm not aware of the device itself, could someone give a force? any information or manual about the device?
thanks in advance

Good afternoon Sorriso:
There is lots to know about how to set it up and use it to make accurate profiles on your grinding wheels and also to preserve the very expensive accurate diamond point that does the dressing.

As you probably know, the Diaform is a pantograph dresser so it relies on a template that is followed with a stylus.
So it follows that both the stylus and the template must be accurate, but the diamond must be an accurate scaled down reproduction of the stylus and it must be mounted in the proper place on the dresser arm so that a movement of the stylus is accurately reproduced at the scaling factor of the Diaform.
In order to reach the entire geometry of the template, the diamond can be swung using the dresser arm, and therefore the radiused tip of the diamond must be perfectly concentric with the axis of the swing arm within microns.
If you need an accurate profile on your wheel you MUST make this step, and there is a procedure to do so that involves a micron precision dial indicator and moving the diamond on the swing arm until it is clocks in with zero runout as you swing the arm back and forth.

Once you have your Diaform set up the next thing you need to learn is the proper technique to use it.
If you have a table mounted Diaform you need to set up the diamond's position relative to the wheel axis so the center of the finishing diamond is directly underneath the grinder spindle axis..
If you have a spindle mounted unit you do not need to bother... the permanent mounting on the machine spindle housing takes care of that.

Once you have your Diaform properly located on the machine, you have to learn the technique to dress the wheel without wrecking the diamonds, particularly the finishing diamond.

There are (as you may have gathered) a pair of diamonds, one is directly behind the other separated by about an inch (25 mm).
The front one is normally the roughing diamond, and most operators use a damaged or worn out diamond to do the roughing.
You try to get as close as you can to your final wheel shape with the rougher...25 microns or better is what you hope for, so that the finisher can do its work with minimal wear of the diamond.

You do it by stroking the rougher over the wheel so the point is always trailing as much as possible, and you drop the wheel toward the diamond in 25 micron (0.001) increments (with a table mounted unit), taking as much of the wheel surface as you can dress with each increment and poking the diamond into every corner by swinging it as necessary to rotate the tip so it can reach in and pick out the details.
This picking out process is abusive to the diamond and is when all the damage occurs to the precision lapped radius on the diamond's tip.
Eventually you will get to the point where the roughing diamond has covered all of the surface of the wheel that you need to form dress.

You then shift to the finishing diamond, back off the wheel by 25 microns or so and then repeat the process in 5 micron increments until your entire profile is contactetd by the finishing diamond.

That's the basic process.

However:
There are other details of use that will get your profile onto the wheel in the proper place.
There are profiles you cannot dress.
There are profiles you may have to do parts of onto opposite sides of the wheel or on successive wheels, and if you use the "both corners of the wheel" strategy, it's useful to know exactly where those two profiles are relative to one another.

All that stuff is sort of the "advanced" course on using your Diaform.
It becomes relevant when you are form dressing die profiles or gear profiles for example, where you need to work to very tight tolerances.
I don't know how complicated or accurate your work is, but you should have a pretty good sense of it with this quickie course, and the rest of it will come with experience.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Marcus thank you so much, extraordinary explanation !!
Not wanting to bother much, but I have some doubts.

The diaform is the 10 to 1 ratio and is already mounting the Jung - HF50 arm on which the diamond holder is located, it is removable and so it is my question how to place the diamond in the center of the grinding wheel as Could I get this adjustment right?

And does it have a measurement marked there, is that measurement from the base of the diamond holder to the top of the diamond radius? The measurement is 53,625mm.

I understood about the ratio of the diamond's radius to the pen's diameter, that the radius should be the diameter increased according to its ratio.

If I have more questions, can we talk more about it?

Hi again Sorriso:
My Diaform is the table mounted version and it sounds like yours is the spindle mounted version.
If I understand correctly, you are asking how to position the diamond so it is at the center plane of the wheel so the cutting edge of the diamond is aligned with the wheel axis.
Is that what you wish to know?

On mine, there is an arm that you can swing into position and align it to the grinding wheel spindle and it is just located by eye, so it is not a very accurate position.
It is not important that it be perfectly accurate.

If you are asking about bringing the diamond into proper relationship with the swing arm axis of the Diaform, it is done first by adjusting the diamond to the proper measured height in the removable holder and then adjusting it sideways once it's mounted into the Diaform.

The measurement you spoke about is the measurement from the bottom of the holder to the center of the diamond tip radius.
You must add one radius (diamonds come with different sized radii so you have to know which diamond you have and it will be marked on the diamond)
There is a little setscrew under the holder to adjust the diamond up or down in the holder.
Start with it a bit too low, and then push it gradually up with the setscrew until it is perfect.

Diaform recommends using a micrometer to measure the total height but I do not.
I use a surface plate, a gauge block stack and a dial indicator because it's too easy to break the tip of the diamond with a micrometer and it's too easy to ruin the micrometer anvil by scratching it with the diamond.
Once the diamond is in the holder and the height is correct, the holder is put in the Diaform machine.
Then it gets a final adjustment with a second dial indicator that's mounted on the Diaform machine with a special holder.

I told you a lie in my first post; the front diamond is the finishing diamond, not the back one.(I haven't used my Diaform for a long long time because I have a wire EDM now so I don't remember everything perfectly)
You will see a knurled thumb wheel on the swing arm...that's where the finishing diamond goes, and the knurled wheel is there to adjust the diamond into a perfect position.
So you put the diamond and holder into the Diaform, lightly tighten the clamping screw to hold the holder and then adjust the knurled wheel using the dial indicator to get it just right.
Afterward, you tighten the clamping screw to final tightness.

On mine, there is no side adjustment for the roughing diamond, so I tap it gently with a small plastic rod until the roughing diamond is accurately located too.

You will know that you set the height properly when you use the indicator on the diamond.
If you got it wrong, you cannot get it to swing with zero runout, and you have to take the holder back out of the machine and adjust the diamond, then put it back in and re-center it with the indicator.
This all takes a lot of time so it's important to measure the height of the diamond and holder very accurately and to keep everything very clean when you put it together.

If you have a spindle mounted Diaform the diamond centering technique might be different; there is no room to get an indicator in position, so there must be a difference in how you do it.
I have never used a spindle mounted unit so I don't know.

Anyway, I hope this answers your questions.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Back