What's new
What's new

Diamond lapping seal surfaces on aluminium

Osterr

Plastic
I have a part that is machined and needs two surfaces diamond lapped. One surface is round and the other is oval. My thoughts were to use a CNC mill,a felt disk that is made to the width of the area to be lapped and use diamond paste while running the pattern on the CNC mill without the spindle turning. Flatness is not critical but a scratch less finish is. Any other ideas??

Are you looking for geometry or shiny? If you use diamond paste on aluminum, it will embed diamond in the aluminum and create a lapping plate. If it's fine, maybe it doesn't matter. If you embed diamond (from paste or other) in a cast iron lapping plate, and clean off the excess, it will lap even a soft aluminum surface without turning it into a lapping plate. For a curved surface it's going to be more difficult. Maybe optical pitch as a tool, like the telescope mirror makers use?

1000+ Grit pads on a DA sander does a pretty good job, if you want near mirror go as fine as you can then use a car polishing compond pad and sutable polish to develop the shine you seek. 3m trizac go realy fine grits and will get you into the optical kinda grades of finish. I would avoid dimond, its over kill and the imbeding risk won't help you.

Felt pads in a rolloc style holder might be a good answer on the mill, but again i would just soak them in std metal polish, i would also run the spindle, good polishing is all about random, dragging a pad around the perfectly same path won't get you what your seaking, spin it, vary it will.

Back