What's new
What's new

Disk Sander VFD Suggestions

Perry42985

Plastic
I recently acquired a disk sander and I’m looking to run a VFD to achieve single to 3 phase. I currently have a rotary converter but I’m tired of listening to it run all the time. The sander has a 2hp GE motor. What could be a quality but cost effective VFD? My understanding is it needs to be rated for double the size of the motor? Thanks for the help!

Control-Techniques p/n M200-02200075A . . . we buy them for under $250 and they are rock solid and easy to set up with top of the line documentation compared to the crappy Chinese drives.

https://acim.nidec.com/drives/contr...en-us/unidrive-m200-sell-sheets.ashx?la=en-us

Thank you for your reply! The 075 p/n shows for a 2hp, is the rumor to double the VFD size in relation to the motor size not needed? Where are you sourcing the Control Techniques drives from? Not much in the US is showing up when I search the p/n.

You need to oversize (i.e. de-rate) only VFDs made to take only 3-phase input, sun on single phase, since you would channel the input current on only 2/3 of the original input.
I hope it makes sense.

Paolo

VFD's are a complicated subject. Many lower power ( 2HP or less) are designed
to run off single phase. If so they may give full rated power even running
from single phase, check the specs. I have some 10 HP VFD's that are single
phase capable but must be de-rated to 5 HP (it's in the spec's).

In your case with a sander you have a better situation. A VFD running a pump
may run at full power all of the time so power limits should be checked carefully.
Your sander probably uses a fraction of the full power most of the time. Starting
is probably very easy for a sander, no heavy load. This is an easy job for a VFD.

VFD's have circuitry watching the load current all of the time. If you cause an
overload it will shut down without harm. You could probably use a 1 HP VFD with
no problems. When you use your sander and exceed the 1 HP limit it will just
shut down, no harm done.

So, you could probably buy a 2 HP unit and not worry about de-rating it. The
2/3 number comes from a simple calculation relating to rotary converters and does
not necessarily apply to VFD's (check your spec's).

I run 2 HP machines off 2 HP VFD's without problems. They are mills, lathes,
and surface grinders. All machines that don't use their full power unless
I do really heavy work. When I exceed their limit they shut down, no problem.
They really are an ideal solution. Just remember, no switches or fuses between
the motor and the VFD.

Mostly, check the spec's.

Thank you for your reply! The 075 p/n shows for a 2hp, is the rumor to double the VFD size in relation to the motor size not needed? Where are you sourcing the Control Techniques drives from? Not much in the US is showing up when I search the p/n.

They thought of that with this drive option . . . designed for single phase input - 3 phase output - I clipped this from the PDF linked in my original post. We are well over 3000 CT drives sold in the last 25 years and they are great drives for this kind of application.

1PH-In-3Ph-Out.JPG

They have a slightly lower end drive that would probably work fine, and I just realized that this drive was recently discontinued but still available from many sellers - p/n - M100-02200075A10101AB100 . . . lists for about $320
Add a speed pot for $10 and the part number changes to M101-02200075A10101AB100

The replacement drive is an upgraded version of their Commander Series . . . C200-02200075A10101AB100 . . . lists for about the same

The M20x series has communications options if you want to configure with their free software - M201-02200075A10101AB100 with a list price of $410 . . .

We have a factory account - if it were me, I'd just use the M101 if you can find one and use the Speed pot when you wanted to adjust your sander speed. PM me if you can't find a local stocking distributor. They rarely charge full list for something like this.

I'd get a 3hp unit, just a little more expensive,and you can run additional machines off it as the need arises.
I run my 5 hp lathe off a 3hp vfd with no issues, as stated earlier, hardly ever run at maximum cut.

Back