What's new
What's new

Do you know what this tool and cutter grinder fixture is for?

jkopel

Stainless
I bought this thing thinking it was twice as big as it is (the ebay listing had no scale).
Now I am trying to determine what it would have been for since it is tiny!

It has protractors at the base and the "head" and a little finger attachment so it must have been for something fluted.
There is a 1/2" hole through it with a 3/8" bushing that seems like where the shank of a tool would mount.
Then it has a pin sticking out that is for I don't know what...
And the whole assembly above the base is spring loaded so you can tip it away from a grinding wheel like an end mill sharpener.

Any ideas of what one would do with it?
Thanks in advance.
Josh

Attachments

• IMG_5896.jpg
    IMG_5896.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_5897.jpg
    IMG_5897.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 672
  • IMG_5899.jpg
    IMG_5899.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 677
  • IMG_5901.jpg
    IMG_5901.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 678
Looks to me that it is to sharpen saws or maybe woodruff/keyseat cutters. But I don't really know. What ever you can adapt it to do.

In the past, we used a very similar outfit on a P&W R6 for slitting saws. It added an extra axis for a pointed double taper. The saws were used to cut slots for holding needles in the carpet industry(Tufting Machines).

Josh
Send that to me, I've got a T&C grinder that doesn't have one. And it's a color matched blue too!
;-)

Fortunately I can fix that since I have paint left over from repainting my KO Lee. :)
Since I have still not figure out what I will do with it I would happily sell it to someone who can...

Fortunately I can fix that since I have paint left over from repainting my KO Lee. :)
Since I have still not figure out what I will do with it I would happily sell it to someone who can...

IF It were on my K.O. Lee T&C grinder, I would make up bushings as needed to locate and mount milling cutters etc. Presently I'm using the indexing device that requires B&S #9 tool holders.
Quite bulky for small work.

Shall I send you a PM regarding sale? I'm interested/

Hey! That thing has a "nod" axis with the hand lever. didn't notice that on first look.

My first thought was also that it "looked" ideal for slitting saws. I actually use a gear tooth fixture for saws, though.

But I have had to make step drills recently, and if only I could figure out how that worked for them might be interested too!

If Cal does not buy it, please let me know how much you are asking.

(Cal, please buy it, save me from myself! You know you need it and that spring loaded retract is going to be perfect for just about everything. :D )

smt

Thanks for the interesting replies.
I was just trying to figure out a way to grind a shallow 90 deg included cutter out of a slitting saw.
Did not even think of trying it with this, and I think I will be better off with an arbor held in my workhead.

Cal,
My hoarder instincts are buzzing but I can't imagine I will ever really use it.
Feel free to PM me if you want it.

Thanks,
Josh

I believe you bush it appropriate to the drill or end mill, index off the flute with a finger and relieve the margins just as you would with an air bearing spindle. Of course now we do all this CNC, and prior to that we had sine bar fixtures that went on T&C grinders like the ubiquitous Cinc #2 or B&S 13... or Cinc. Monoset style with the sinebar helix built in. So very "OLD SCHOOL" but effective if you're not in a hurry.

If you are not familiar with what came after the sinebar fixture it's like a lathe taper attachment hooked up to a rack and pinion that gives rotational translation to the spindle holding the work piece as it traverses under the grinding wheel. but like the above fixture and cheap cutting tools, rendered obsolete by CNC grinders.

Cyclotronguy

Back