What's new
What's new

DoAll D6 Lacking Traverse - Stuck Spool?

chiefsr

Plastic
I have a DoAll D6 surface grinder that does not have a working traverse motion. I believe that the spool is stuck since manually operating the traverse will auto increment the cross feed as the pilot valve cycles. Both the cross and traverse hand wheels will become disengaged as expected. The traverse speed selector will cause the pump to change tone as it build pressure. The traverse cylinder seems to never receive fluid and the only thing I can think of is that the spool inside the "combination valve assembly" is stuck as a result of the machine sitting idle for a number of years. Have you ever seen this occur or perhaps have other ideas that I could check? I have not figured out a way to dislodge that spool if it is actually stuck.
Interestingly, PM user Grigg has the same grinder ~20 serial numbers from mine.

Traverse speed lever: off / crossfeed directional: in or out / crossfeed selector: out (wheel dress) -> both hand wheels free spin, no traverse regardless of pilot valve position.
Traverse speed lever: off / crossfeed directional: neutral / crossfeed selector: out (wheel dress) -> both hand wheels free spin, no traverse regardless of pilot valve position.
--
Traverse speed lever: 2 / crossfeed directional: neutral / crossfeed selector: neutral -> both hand wheels free spin, no traverse regardless of pilot valve position.
Traverse speed lever: off / crossfeed directional: neutral / crossfeed selector: neutral -> both hand wheels are engaged, no traverse regardless of pilot valve position..
Traverse speed lever: 2 / crossfeed directional: neutral / crossfeed selector: In (manual) -> crossfeed hand wheel engaged, traverse handwheel free spins, no traverse regardless of pilot valve position.
Traverse speed lever: off / crossfeed directional: neutral / crossfeed selector: In (manual) -> both hand wheels are engaged, no traverse regardless of pilot valve position.

Years agoIhad this happen toa customers grinder that was used a lot, but they never changed the oil. Luckily back then Do-All was this in business in Shakopee MN and we called them. Their tech support told us to takeoff the table, saddle and flip the saddle over and remove the valve body. We dismantled all the valves and Sunnen Honed the holes. It was 30 years ago or so. I believe we had to grind, chrome and regrind that one spool as it was scored. That valve body leaks like a sieve and you have to make sure the valve sheet metal cover is on or it leaks on the floor.

Thanks, Richard. Great to hear from you as I have seen your content on YouTube many times through Keith and friends.
That is quite the process you described and well out of my in house capabilities. DoAll says that no parts are available, so I have avoided tearing into the valve body. The fluid looked brand new when I spun this machine up, so I have my fingers crossed that it was not loaded with contaminants.

Problem solved. It was an air lock, apparently. Repetitive movement of the X manually and also trying the traverse speeds over time eventually worked the air out.

Back