What's new
What's new

Doall vs Brown and Sharpe

beckerkumm

Hot Rolled
I had posted some general questions over on the general forum but am going to look at three machines. A Doall from the 1950s, G1 or G7 or D6, two axis, 6x18 with permanent magnet and Parker spindle. Doall 8-24 slightly newer, two axis, 2 hp, 10" wheel, chuck is standard with Selectron control. Third is Brown and Sharpe 618. I know the least about it but think it is similar to the smaller Doall with maybe a fine pole chuck.

I understand that condition is everything and I'm pretty good at judging old machines although this will be tough as I'm new to metalworking ( rehabbed lots of woodworking machines ). Assuming I can judge the condition, are there good and bad about Doall vs B and S? Spindle, controls, better lube systems, easier to find parts or replacements for, etc. I know the quirks of Oliver vs Yates, vs Wadkin,but just learning about grinders. Dave

So long as you are referring to an old version B & S, not a Micro- or Tech-master?
I've got both both DoAll D1030 & B & S 618. Both auto 2 axis. B & S is re-scraped.

What do you plan to do with it?

The DoAll is far the superior machine for surface grinding. It is hydraulic as opposed to mechanical auto.
D- series is going to be newer, and has some development compared to G-

If you plan mostly small tool making & sharpening, a 6-18 size machine with 7 or 8" wheel is more convenient, "practical", & cheaper to accumulate a selection of wheels and shaped wheels for including diamond/superabrasives.

For mostly surface grinding, get the biggest machine with the biggest wheel.

As you note, condition is everything unless you can rescrape them yourself.

smt

Yeah, which B&S? Old rounded machine or the newer ones? Latest version machines were outstanding, Micromaster Series II (Series I are great too) - and were available with either manual or up to 3axis automatic feeds.

Last edited:
Comparing the old Iron Doall and B and S to newer but equal priced Taiwan made Kent, Acer, Sharp etc, are the newer machines a decent risk? I know the build and quality differences between newer and older woodworking machines but not those related to surface grinders. I see some good pricing on 10x20 and even 12x24 vs the J and S 540 or B and S 618. Any advice on the good or bad of newer but used offshore machines? Dave

I have a 1966 B&S Micromaster 618 in very good condition, 2 axis auto.
It's an outstanding machine for general surface grinding.

Back