What's new
What's new

Does anyone sell parts for 1970's vintage Brown & Sharpe surface grinders ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Micromaster 818 in this case. Bourn and Koch ? Or is it like Cincinnati Milacron where they can furnish parts but they make them to order and the price is so insane as to make parts a moot point ?

Probably depends on the parts you're looking for. I have an 818 of the latest vintage and have seen some of the prices paid for parts by the company that last owned it. Bourne and Koch has some parts, probably will make or sub out others to be made. Quite high priced, to say the least. I was especially outraged at the cost of a few simple gaskets. Something like $65 *apiece.* I made my own for about $2 worth of gasket material and 5 minutes of time.

They (B&K) aren't real keen on sharing information either. I called and asked if I could get some part dimensions to check if they were worn out (pistons, valve spools, etc.) and was told that that was "proprietary" information, if I wanted to know that I had to disassemble the machine and ship them any parts to check. Then they'd tell me if they were worn out and I would have to pay to get them shipped back. (Wonder what that would cost? $5k?) Pretty GD ridiculous. I put the guy on blast and told him no problem, I'll do my own rework if you guys have that attitude.

Slightly OT, but same general theme...

Here in Germany, there is a guy named Franz Singer whose company sells parts for Deckel milling machines. They have original parts, used parts, and also in some cases have replacement parts made. Some of these parts are quite expensive, but the wonderful thing about Franz & Co is that they are always willing to help. If you ask critical dimensions, they tell you. And they don't charge an arm and a leg to send things back. Shame that B&K don't work like that.

Back