Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it came about because originally before CNC only one axis could really rotate in a way that could accomplish any cutting or drilling. So it made sense to have the axes follow the machine orientation such that something like drilling was always happening in a negative 'Z' direction whether the machine was a vertical mill, a horizontal mill or even a lathe. Since it was already that way for all those machines it wouldn't make any sense to alter that convention just for a grinder.

Something like a machine with a rotating head or those milling machines with both vertical and horizontal spindles are sort of a special case, as they can be either a horizontal mill or a vertical mill. In that case, I'd say whichever way you are using the machine determines the axis labeling.

2. Likes pb1 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It doesn't matter what we think it should be. at least one grinder has it the other way
    I'm pretty sure it was Y and Z that was for vertical, up/down.
    If I happen on the names of the surface grinder (grinders) that have it different I will post it.

4. Likes pb1 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well something like a Blanchard type grinder with the spindle oriented vertically would have the up/down correctly labeled as 'Z' axis. Otherwise I have never seen a horizontal spindle reciprocating surface grinder with up/down labeled as a 'Z' axis. I would be interested to find out which grinder that was Buck, if you do find out.
    Last edited by eKretz; 01-23-2021 at 02:45 AM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

QT Mike Unless I mis-understand, dressing your wheel will change your Z by thousandths, not tenths. At that point, I would think .001/.0005 resolution would be fine.

I have had jobes where the down and cross had to be held at tenths.. Sometimes the part can be turned to use down feed to get the step dimension. Also have had a very few times where the end of the long travel was critical and the wheel OD shape was part of the design. For that I would scribe a line on the Part, down the wheel to target and eyeball to the scribe line for rough idea, set my stop and have shims handy for adding to the stop.. never had a job like that to tenths. Yes much the same as dressing the wheel to the radius needed.
    I have run a number of surface grinders CNC and manuals with the down and crossfeed having a DRO.

I think it is tough to trust the DRO for <.0002 unless you have a wheel probe to spot the wheel to .0002 or better.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    Ok pedant. Howsabout 'The Z axis is parallel to the spindle ways'?

Does that make sense?
    My point was more to point out that hard and fast rules aren't always followed or true. I'm definitely pedantic. Pedant wasn't a word I ever expected to see on this forum, even with as many of us exist here, so I appreciate that!

There is a line of 7-axis EDM machines I've used on both sides of "the pond" that have the A+B rotary axis on the Z-axis column. That is, there are 2 rotary axis between the Z-axis and the spindle. They can drill up/down/forward/backward/sideways/etc. The part table is moved by the X, Y and a C-axis that rotates it.