Even newer newb question
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Even newer newb question

    I purchased a Jakobsen SJ17 surface grinder last year (at auction) and finally had a few moments to set it up. The machine has slide ways and has hydraulic power feed in the x-axis. It is like the machine in this link MachineryMax.Com - LOT# 024 SVEND JAKOBSEN Model SJ-17 SURFACE GRINDER, 18" x 6", 3400 RPM

    I had the table removed for transport and cleaned the upper and lower ways and then recoated the table ways with way lube prior to reassembly. My question is how are the table ways normally lubricated? I can't see any oiler ports for the table. The knee and the column have ports. The only thing I can surmise is that the ways get oiled from the hydraulic system? I've squeezed oil into the knee ports and watched for oil to come out the the oil groove holes on table ways but didn't notice anything.

    I hope I don't offend anyone with what is likely such a trivial question.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    GERMANY
    Posts
    3,159
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2045
    Likes (Received)
    1148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warezwaldo View Post
    The machine has slide ways and has hydraulic power feed in the x-axis.
    Most machines of this type use a hydraulic oil that is also suitable for lubricating machine slides, for example Mobil Vactra 2 or Shell Tonna. Typically the slides have oil grooves, and at some point along the oil groove, there is a small hole. Oil is fed from the hydraulic pump through a filter/pressure regulator/flow-limiter and into that small hole. There should also be grooves to carry away the excess oil, "filter it" in a settling area, and a tube or tubes to carry it back to the hydraulic oil sump.

  3. Likes warezwaldo liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,919
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1340
    Likes (Received)
    1271

    Default

    Mobil Vacuoline, not Vactra. Vactra is for sliding surfaces only, Vacuoline is for a mixed system with hydraulics and sliding surfaces.

  5. Likes ballen liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    52
    Likes (Received)
    442

    Default

    My K.O. Lee's ways are lubricated with hydraulic fluid. There is a whole page of compatible fluids. They all have one thing in common - they ain't cheap. I am using Shell Tellus.

    My hydraulic system works amazingly better with all the hoses connected. :-)

    You seriously have to find out how your machine is lubricated. If you don't have a manual and the maker is no longer in business you'd better either start doing your detective work or start taking your grinder apart to see how it works. My apron, for example, is lubricated from static reservoirs of fluid. How do those reservoirs get filled? The manual says remove the table and then add fluid to two tiny fill tubes. It doesn't say how much, and oh by the way this is where Vactra comes back into play. I found out I can just barely fill each tube from the exposed end of the table with the table all the way to the other side, using a funky setup I made from a tiny funnel, some tubing and some copper tube. Lot easier than taking the table off.

    metalmagpie

  7. Likes ballen, warezwaldo liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,919
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1340
    Likes (Received)
    1271

    Default

    Sopko makes excellent wheel adapters.

  9. Likes warezwaldo liked this post
  10. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Thanks! I must be getting old because I was going to edit a grammatical error in my last post with my phone and somehow deleted it.

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    12,054
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4072
    Likes (Received)
    4310

    Default

    *You should delete this thread and start one that has a relative title perhaps:

    "Jakobsen SJ17 surface grinder" would be a good title.

    Book says they have a separate pump for lube to the ways but I have never run one or tore one down.

    Except for CNC surface grinders the travels are 1. Saddle and table, 2. cross and longitudinal and 3. Cross and long... Yes, plus down, down feed or verticle...Not XYZ.
    For CNC surface grinders it is what their own book says because they vary xyz to mean diferent travels..

    It looks like a very high class machine out of Denmark.
    (yes i thought Clausing was out of Midhigam?)

    Some sources of free manuals that I have not tried:
    BOOKS, AUDIOBOOKS, MAGAZINES AND MORE!

    jakobsen surface grinder manual Download

    https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/i...20160223165706
    **someone here on PM might know and answer if the thread had a proper title.

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    12,054
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4072
    Likes (Received)
    4310

    Default

    **someone here on PM might know and answer if the thread had a proper title.

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Thanks, I'll re post with a more fitting title.

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    *You should delete this thread and start one that has a relative title perhaps:

    "Jakobsen SJ17 surface grinder" would be a good title.

    Book says they have a separate pump for lube to the ways but I have never run one or tore one down.

    Except for CNC surface grinders the travels are 1. Saddle and table, 2. cross and longitudinal and 3. Cross and long... Yes, plus down, down feed or verticle...Not XYZ.
    For CNC surface grinders it is what their own book says because they vary xyz to mean diferent travels..

    It looks like a very high class machine out of Denmark.
    (yes i thought Clausing was out of Midhigam?)

    Some sources of free manuals that I have not tried:
    BOOKS, AUDIOBOOKS, MAGAZINES AND MORE!

    jakobsen surface grinder manual Download

    https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/i...20160223165706
    **someone here on PM might know and answer if the thread had a proper title.
    In retrospect, I agree this is a poorly named thread. I do not appear to have the authority to rename or delete the thread so can I ask the moderator to do one or the other?

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    12,054
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4072
    Likes (Received)
    4310

    Default

    Guess you could just let it die as it should have and start a new thread.

    The original is already dead because its title does not relate to anything about the subject..

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Guess you could just let it die as it should have and start a new thread.

    The original is already dead because its title does not relate to anything about the subject..
    That's the plan now 👍


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •