What's new
What's new

field direction on magnetic chuck

winger

Stainless
My grinder at home has a Walker chuck (6 x 14) with the fields lengthwise. permanent mag .
The one at work is a walker (8 x 24) running crosswise. Electro mag. We have been looking at a new full auto machine and the fields are lengthwise (12 x 24).

I'm not sure what are the practical differences to choose for. This can probably be speced out.

For sharpening planer knives on my home one the crosswise would seem to work better due to my fixture. All are fine pitch poles with the crosswise one being a little wider.

Any comments or preferences, or like me, it's what you have.

99 pct of my grinding has been at work on the crosswise fields. The only time I really had a problem is the fields could have been narrower on some real small diameter spacers.

Dave

On your 8" x 24" at work running crosswise, I assume you mean the lines being either stainless steel or brass strips are running from the front to back, parallel with the 8" dimension, this is called a transverse pole chuck.

In your example of wanting to run planer blades this is the ideal chuck for you. The reason is normally when you grind an item like a long planer blade you will put this long ways on the chuck, parallel to the 24" length, on the transverse pole chuck you are running across the poles which gives you better holding power. If you will be running thin parts you will want a fine pole chuck.

Many new machines are supplied with what it sounds like you are being quoted, a longitudal pole chuck. Reason they like to supply these chucks is the are less expensive to make. If you are grinding say large blocks you will never know the difference. But if you were to try and grind your planer blades you will possibly struggle. The reason is you would possibly never cross poles on that style chuck as they run left to right. You would have to load you blades front to back on the magnet. Meaning you would have a very short table stroke and one a 12 x 24 chuck the longest blade you would run would be 12".

I have ground long thin parts my entire life. All of our large mattison grinders have transvers pole chucks. I grind parts down to .032" thick. I have several small okamoto grinders, the only one I have a longitudal pole chuck on is a machine I grind carbide on. So we only need the magnet for some blocking or to hold a sine plate. My main small okamoto for grinding blades on has a walker transverse fine pole chuck.

You will find the transverse pole chucks will be more $$.

I have attached a Suburban tool spec sheet here. I have some of their permanent mag chucks. Walker chucks are very good but stupid $$$, another brand I have is Kanetec which have been good. There are other brands out there, it may just depend on what machine you are looking at and what they supply.

https://kanetec.com/products/chucks/electromagnetic-chucks/

ELECTROMAGNETIC SURFACE GRINDER CHUCKS by Suburban Tool, Inc.

Thanks, I had no idea the cost difference. We grind some longer knives at work (no bevel) So I would ask for the transverse.
I've been trying to get the boss to spring for a full auto grinder, but the semi is good for some sit down time.
The two newest grinders at school were Okomoto (1 manual and the other full auto).I wonder if they are still in good shape.20 some years ago.
Currently have a B&S about 1970 with a lot of miles at work and a Kent manual at home.

The Kent is good for a home shop but very tiresome turning the crank for any length part. When I retire and get anal about the shop I'll probably hook up a motor drive on it.

Back