What's new
What's new

Finding a motor for a Brown and Sharpe 510

jkopel

Stainless
I am in the midst of rebuilding a B&S 510.
The machine saw a lot of heavy use, and either the previous owners were very creative or it might even be some kind of franken-grinder since there some odd things about it.
Anyway, the motor it came with was a GE TFEC 480V 3450RPM 1HP 3PH 56 frame with a resilient mount.
The shaft on the motor is bent (how the hell do you do that in a grinder?).
I want to run it off a VFD and am looking for a suitable replacement.
The grinder uses o-ring style drive belts, and the motor placement on the moving spindle head means I have to stay close to the original mounting style.

My specific questions are:
1. Does the resilient mount make a big difference? I have found a few motors locally that would work except they are normal rigid 56 mount without the rubber rings.
2. Does the motor need to be balanced, or will the factory balance be sufficient (I know this one will be hard to answer).
3. Should I even consider single phase?
4. The original spec was for 1HP but I have found what looks like a good choice but it is 2HP. Is there any reason I should not upsize the motor?

All help and advice appreciated.
Thanks!
Josh

I also have a b&s 510 which came with a 1hp Dayton motor, non resilient mount, but with a vibration isolator pad sandwiched between the mounting plate and motor.

It also had a 3ph 1hp GE with resilient mount which was the original motor included. I replaced the bearings on that and reinstalled on a VFD.

I feel as if the resilient mount transmitted less vibration into the machine, though some might say the single phase will vibrate more inherently, and the GE might be a better balanced motor to begin with.

It didn't make as much difference to surface finish as I expected though. Proper wheel selection and balancing and side truing was more significant in my case. The VFD is nice for slow start and stop and variable speed.

Each of the SGs I have owned had a Grinder Duty motor, stamped on the data plate. I assumed it was a higher level of balance, as the external appearance was the same as a none grinder duty motor. I do have a 1HP 3phase motor it is from a direct drive Harig grinder, so is a face mount, no feet. contact me if interested.

Each of the SGs I have owned had a Grinder Duty motor, stamped on the data plate. I assumed it was a higher level of balance, as the external appearance was the same as a none grinder duty motor. I do have a 1HP 3phase motor it is from a direct drive Harig grinder, so is a face mount, no feet. contact me if interested.

Thanks, I found what appears to be the identical resilient mount GE motor on ebay.
I will know if I made a mistake when it gets here tomorrow. :toetap:

Given the way the motor is shoehorned into the column there is very little room to fabricate a face mount adapter.
I am sure it is possible, but I would rather avoid it if I can.

Back