What's new
What's new

Fine Grinding Velocities.

Hello,
I have question that might be too "overthinking" the problem.
I work at a company that is developing Fine grinding plates.
I am new to this and my coworker/Boss wants to calculate the velocities in the process so that we can create a "small scale" testing apparatus with different grinding materials and develop new abrasives.

Question is, is there a book or info where I can use to calculate the velocities that the parts see during fine grinding operation.

We have a Peter Wolters AC500 as a test bed. if it helps.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

I am not familiar with the term "fine grinding" except in the sense of "nice finish and accurate dimensions". Is this a special process like "fine blanking", i.e., not just routine surface grinding? Care to explain the process for us?

If you are using a rotating wheel, the surface velocity is the circumference of the wheel times the revolution rate of the wheel. Circumference is PI times diameter. If you are using Imperial units (inches, feet, etc), do not neglect that wheel diameter is usually given in inches while surface velocity is usually given in feet per minute.

I am not familiar with the term "fine grinding" except in the sense of "nice finish and accurate dimensions". Is this a special process like "fine blanking", i.e., not just routine surface grinding? Care to explain the process for us?

If you are using a rotating wheel, the surface velocity is the circumference of the wheel times the revolution rate of the wheel. Circumference is PI times diameter. If you are using Imperial units (inches, feet, etc), do not neglect that wheel diameter is usually given in inches while surface velocity is usually given in feet per minute.

This will help: What is Single & Double Side Fine Grinding? | Lapmaster Wolters There's a link to a video on the page too.

Update - video not that useful, but text is very good.

I don't understand the question.
The speeds are different in and outside the plates and dependent on part size and layout of course.
It is just geometry and speeds along with the part holder rotation which is a small add/subtract.
Not sure what you need or what you are trying to do in developing plates.
Bob

I’m not sure what he’s looking for either Bob? I’ve always considered fine grinding as “less than .001” in-feed. AKA “low stress & low deflection. It’s not just for good finish but can be crucial for not ruining the material.

Abrasive manufacturers generally have recipes for their materials vs the material you are working with. Increasing wheel speed affects distortion while grinding (more pressure trying to push the material away from the wheel).

Increasing in-feed sets up residual stress just under the surface. In-feeds of .001” or more will put the area just below the surface in tension (too much = grinder burn & maybe cracking). OTOH small in-feeds put the area just below the surface in compression & generally is considered beneficial (surface appears a bit stronger & lapping can’t do that). Attaching a couple of things that may help...

Good luck,
Matt

Attachments

• Grind_Deflection_4340.jpg
    Grind_Deflection_4340.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Grind_Residual_Stress_4340.jpg
    Grind_Residual_Stress_4340.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Back