What's new
What's new

fine grit grinding question

messar

Aluminum
Can anyone comment on things I need to look out for when using very fine grit grinding wheels?

In my application, I'll be using wheels down to 0.5um grit size, grinding semiconductor parts, so a mix of epoxy/silica, copper, fiberglass, gold.

Will I have issues with clogging the wheel? Can a higher pressure coolant help with this?

Any guidelines with cut depth, and feed rates?

Thanks,

Matt

...using wheels down to 0.5um grit size, grinding semiconductor parts, so a mix of epoxy/silica, copper, fiberglass, gold.

What are you doing messar, metallurgical polishing ?
What is "0.5um grit size" ?
Is that one half micron diamond ?
Sounds like it.
Give us some more details and maybe we can tell you more.

SM

You are correct on both counts :)

We are currently using a lapping wheel with diamond film to polish the samples. The film is described as 0.5um - I'm assuming this means 0.5um diamond size. (actually, it's a progressive set of grits 100um, 50um, 20um, etc, down to 0.5um). As you can imagine, this is pretty time consuming.

I'd like to do something similar with a grinder. Basically, something like a jig grinder with a small (2" or so) wheel, and do the same type of progressive polish.

At this point, I'm trying to select the best type of grinding wheel, and understand what issues I need to consider to get good results. I have no experience with a grinder, and am open to any gems of knowledge that anyone is willing to share.

Thanks,

matt

We are currently using a lapping wheel with diamond film to polish the samples. .. 0.5um diamond size.

As you can imagine, this is pretty time consuming.

... something like a jig grinder with a small (2" or so) wheel, and do the same type of progressive polish.

... issues I need to consider to get good results.

.5 micron diamond is really too fine for a lapping "film".
It should be used on a polishing pad.
Forget the jig grinder.
3 or four steps should do it.
I'm shure your supplier will tell you to buy 10 different grits but it isn't necessary.$$$$$:nutter:

220 Resin bond wheel on a lapping machine or surface grinder.
15 micron on lead or copper lap. Time= Until it's done right.
3 micron on a pad. Time= Until it's done right.
1 micron on a pad. Time= Until it's done right.
.5 micron on a pad. Time= Until it's done right.

I hate lapping films and sandpaper.
You can not polish on a surface grinder.

No shortcuts in this game.
Have fun.

SM

Back