What's new
What's new

flood coolant or cool mist?

I think some sort of coolant will improve surface finish on my surface grinder. Mist cooling would be the easiest to set up but will it be as effective as flooding soluabe oil?
Lance

Grinding coolants have 2 functions. The first of course is to remove as much heat as possible from the workpiece. The second, and arguably more important is to flush the chips and abrasive particles from the grinding zone. It is the latter function that will improve finish. Cooling preserves the dimension of the workpiece and protects sensitive materials such as high speed steels from cracking. I don't believe a mist will help your finish.

Lance

most of the Surface Grinders that i have come across have regular Soluble coolant pumped thru a standard 1hp [0.75 Kw] Coolant Motor. Mist Coolants are used in components or machines that have handicap with free-flowing coolant or some special material that are allergic to coolants. The medium in mist coolant is Air & Oil Mixture.

Hope this helps you in deciding which is better.

Pali

I believe you would see some improvement in finish with mist. Run the mist a littler richer than recommended, to get actual droplets on the work. The added lubricity does help surface finish IME. Another factor is that the work stays cooler, so it is not expanding into the wheel and causing streaks as much. But as others noted, there is no effect of washing away accumulated or stray grit.

I run flood as well as induced through-the-wheel coolant on a DoALL D1030, and mist on a B & S 618.

smt

Back