What's new
What's new

Flywheel Grinder Worth Owning?

CountryBoy19

Stainless
I realize it's no surface grinder or blanchard but for the right price would you pick up a flywheel grinder for fast removal on round items that aren't critical tolerance?

I don't know if it works but it was only $100. Powered down feed, powered rotary table and 5hp spindle motor. Google show they sell for around $5k used good condition. I'm debating cleaning it up and reselling.

Why couldn't you put a magnetic chuck on it with finer grinding wheel and use as a mini blanchard? Probably wont hold the tightest tolerances. The chuck spins, the wheel spins and the head travels, right?

I realize it's no surface grinder or blanchard but for the right price would you pick up a flywheel grinder for fast removal on round items that aren't critical tolerance?

I don't know if it works but it was only $100. Powered down feed, powered rotary table and 5hp spindle motor. Google show they sell for around $5k used good condition. I'm debating cleaning it up and reselling.

If i had room for it i would buy it quickly.

Why couldn't you put a magnetic chuck on it with finer grinding wheel and use as a mini blanchard? Probably wont hold the tightest tolerances. The chuck spins, the wheel spins and the head travels, right?

The head travel is manual and I think it's meant to be locked in place while grinding but not real sure. I've also read that the axis of the spindle is slightly tilted so the wheel only cuts on one side which would leave a small bit of cupping on a single pass or some waviness on multiple. That being said I imagine a bit of practice could probably make parts within a few thou.

ETA, I should've clarified that I already bought it but haven't taken delivery. I was just pondering my options of keep & use vs clean-up & sell. I don't think it has a huge amount of head clearance (maybe 12"?) So adding a mag chuck just cuts down on what I can fit in there.

I've seen these used at carbide insert fabricators in place of a Blanchard.
When doing smaller piece work the head tilt is actually desirable so small steel parts application also.
The downside, the column is not real rigid, will flex so longer spark outs are needed. Spindle not the same deal either.
Bigger one is the same as buying a used Blanchard of any size. Round mag chucks are expensive.

Not sure your ship or rig cost but at $100 I'd have jumped on it
Reworked in house you may find it capable of surface grinder tolerances and much faster at making parts.

If you get it, don't have a lot in, and do not want it....call me. I always need another project.
Bob

I've seen these used at carbide insert fabricators in place of a Blanchard.
When doing smaller piece work the head tilt is actually desirable so small steel parts application also.
The downside, the column is not real rigid, will flex so longer spark outs are needed. Spindle not the same deal either.
Bigger one is the same as buying a used Blanchard of any size. Round mag chucks are expensive.

Not sure your ship or rig cost but at $100 I'd have jumped on it
Reworked in house you may find it capable of surface grinder tolerances and much faster at making parts.

If you get it, don't have a lot in, and do not want it....call me. I always need another project.
Bob

I guess you could say the shipping or rigging costs is the $100... the best kind of deal where my brother was in the right place at the right time and got it for nothing. He knew what it did but thought it may be useful for other things as well so asked if I wanted it. He wanted $100 for his time & hassle getting it out of there.

Heck I thought I did well at 600 for mine . The tilt can be adjusted so you can get it to cut pretty flat if you want. Have only used mine for what it was built for and pretty happy with it . Bill

Not a ring grinder. DCM Tech SG-5500 with coolant & auto down feed (apparently those are optional on the 5500).

Thanks, I read up on the internet about the machine. It's not a style of machine that I'm familiar with, you don't see those in engineering workshops normally. It looks a very useful little tool though, quite versatile. If yours is in good condition I'd buy it.

Regards Tyrone.

Slightly off topic but just something interesting.
A few years ago I ran a machine shop for an agricultural machinery manufacturer.
We made all the bits and pieces they needed but we were also free to take on any other work as long as it didn't interfere with production.
One of the regular jobs we did for local agricultural machinery dealers was the refacing of tractor flywheels when fitting new clutches, These were ceramic clutches and were hard on the rubbing surface and if the flywheel was not resurfaced and brought back to correct tolerance then the clutch would fail within a couple of days.
We used a boring bar with a carbide tip and we could get a good finish on a flywheel.
A local engine re-builder installed a flywheel grinder and some of our customers took their flywheels to them but in a very short time they all came back as the ground flywheels were not lasting as they should.
One of the local mechanics said that when they went back to the clutch manufacturer they were told that if the flywheel surfaces were ground then the ceramic plates on the paddles would not bed in quick enough and generate too much heat which ruined the whole setup. Machining with a carbide insert was the recommended way to do it!
We usually did 5 to 10 flywheels a week which was a very good earner and we generated more turnover on jobs than we did on production!

Heck I thought I did well at 600 for mine . The tilt can be adjusted so you can get it to cut pretty flat if you want. Have only used mine for what it was built for and pretty happy with it . Bill
Honestly, mine will likely get used to do brake rotors a lot and odd-jobs. It's one of those tools I don't really need but I got it cheap enough and you've all convinced me it's worthwhile to keep around.

Slightly off topic but just something interesting.
A few years ago I ran a machine shop for an agricultural machinery manufacturer.
We made all the bits and pieces they needed but we were also free to take on any other work as long as it didn't interfere with production.
One of the regular jobs we did for local agricultural machinery dealers was the refacing of tractor flywheels when fitting new clutches, These were ceramic clutches and were hard on the rubbing surface and if the flywheel was not resurfaced and brought back to correct tolerance then the clutch would fail within a couple of days.
We used a boring bar with a carbide tip and we could get a good finish on a flywheel.
A local engine re-builder installed a flywheel grinder and some of our customers took their flywheels to them but in a very short time they all came back as the ground flywheels were not lasting as they should.
One of the local mechanics said that when they went back to the clutch manufacturer they were told that if the flywheel surfaces were ground then the ceramic plates on the paddles would not bed in quick enough and generate too much heat which ruined the whole setup. Machining with a carbide insert was the recommended way to do it!
We usually did 5 to 10 flywheels a week which was a very good earner and we generated more turnover on jobs than we did on production!
That's interesting, must be surface finish related? Grinding is too smooth? It doesn't make logical sense to me but then again, I'm not an expert.

Back