What's new
What's new

green wheel, surface grinder, wear

Carson

Plastic
Hey folks, to accurately grind a small carbide form tool like the pic, I have a Harig 6-18 with a dresser and green wheel. Grinding Micro 100 1/4" split round blank to have the .032R as pictured. Say I rough it in, then will I need to redress, then finish ? or maybe dress the rad a final time ? How fast does the SC wheel break down ? What grit/type/model wheel is best for this.
I make these with HSS and alu ox wheels, no problem. Just want to try carbide. Or I'd have to order a custom radiussed diamond wheel (not yet). There will be slight relief angles, and the pic is LH rot, but that's the easy part.
Thanks for any advice,
C
bitt.jpg
Or can the rad be dressed (by me) on a basic sharp cornered diamond wheel ?
Thanks

Starting from a blank that is a lot of solid carbide to take with a green wheel.
For time and wheel expense using a wet diamond wheel for the entire might be best.

Grinding into the side you have more than 1/8 travel, and grinding into the end you have less than 1/8 so grinding into the end might be best.

A straight corned edge diamond wheel perhaps 220 with a .030 rad dress would last a good longtime running wet.

You might have two wheels and use a .025rad to grind /wear to the rad high tolerance limit.
the other wheel being your roughing wheel and let it grow to perhaps .045.
On dressing day you dress both wheels with a break roll dresser to the desired size.

Qt[Or I'd have to order a custom radiused] Even with buying a custom plated wheel, the rougher wheel should still be used.

Another option would be to use a narrow diamond parting wheel, and part away much stock..the use your 1/32 wheel or plated wheel just for finishing.

QT [Or can the rad be dressed (by me) on a basic sharp cornered diamond wheel ?
Thanks

I have hand-dressed a radius to a diamond wheel using my abrasive wheel roller dresser(like a crackerjack mini..
Desmond Mini Crackerjack Dresser - 25510-1 - Penn Tool Co., Inc

A small rad like a 1/32 can also be hand-dressed to a diamond wheel using a mild steel or brass slug as a rubbing stick dresser.
Diamond wheels should be knocked to less than .001 run out at start-up,. you snug the wheel on the mount and indicate the high place and low, then with a blunt nose wood chisel under a tapper slug you knock away 1/2 the error, then do again to get, .001.

A broken green wheel makes a very good diamond wheel-load cleaning dresser.

Back