What's new
What's new

Grinding Coolant Filtration Systems

keod

Plastic
I am currently working with an elaborate yet insufficient coolant filtration system for our rotary table grinders (DCM 280). I've taken samples from each spindle and even after the coolant tanks have been cleaned, there is a significant amount of swarf getting through. I am looking to change this and go the filter paper route. Has anyone on here dealt with filtering a tungsten/epoxy mix? What is your experience and what worked best to filter out the swarf? Thanks.

Give Coopermatics in Northamppton PA a call. They supply diatomaceous earth filter systems (like swimming pool filter). We use them for grinding ceramic. Coolant is crystal clear. Tel: +1 610 262 7700

I am currently working with an elaborate yet insufficient coolant filtration system for our rotary table grinders (DCM 280). I've taken samples from each spindle and even after the coolant tanks have been cleaned, there is a significant amount of swarf getting through. I am looking to change this and go the filter paper route. Has anyone on here dealt with filtering a tungsten/epoxy mix? What is your experience and what worked best to filter out the swarf? Thanks.

Not specific to your needs, but "in general"... IF you can get a centrifugul separator into the flow, early-on, and have your other particulate filters follow, whatever filter media is chosen can last waaaay longer and flow more coolant as well.

My use is filtering grinders running tungsten carbide.
Over years we have had paper dragouts, centrifugal that look like a washing machine drum, hydrocyclones, 2000 gallon settling tanks, and DME systems.
All of them not so good for one reason or other.

After all that experimenting we now just have a 30-40 gallon tank at each machine with one or two baffles and use these after the pump and one the way into the machine:
APEC Water Systems - Whole House Water Filters - Water Filtration Systems - The Home Depot
Originally we put in a 30-40 micron followed by a one micron. That was a mistake as we began filter some of the coolant itself out of the water.
Now we leave the front empty and put a 30-40 in the second tube, they quickly turn into a 5-10 as they build a layer.
A single tube unit works just as well, you want the 4 inch by 20 inch size and use pleated filters.
The original plastic wrenches that come with these for changing the cartridges are too short and break, we use a chain wrench.

Our cycles are short from 6 to 120 seconds so we wanted to keep pressure on all the time for instant startup but not have a pump always running so we went to these for our coolant pumps:
1 HP Stainless Steel Shallow Well Pump and Tank with Pressure Control Switch - 950 GPH
That has worked out very well. Note that these pumps do not come with a foot valve so you need to one with on the intake.
Bob

Attachments

• Blanchard.jpg
    Blanchard.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 150
My use is filtering grinders running tungsten carbide.
Over years we have had paper dragouts, centrifugal that look like a washing machine drum, hydrocyclones, 2000 gallon settling tanks, and DME systems.
All of them not so good for one reason or other.

After all that experimenting we now just have a 30-40 gallon tank at each machine with one or two baffles and use these after the pump and one the way into the machine:
APEC Water Systems - Whole House Water Filters - Water Filtration Systems - The Home Depot
Originally we put in a 30-40 micron followed by a one micron. That was a mistake as we began filter some of the coolant itself out of the water.
Now we leave the front empty and put a 30-40 in the second tube, they quickly turn into a 5-10 as they build a layer.
A single tube unit works just as well, you want the 4 inch by 20 inch size and use pleated filters.
The original plastic wrenches that come with these for changing the cartridges are too short and break, we use a chain wrench.

Our cycles are short from 6 to 120 seconds so we wanted to keep pressure on all the time for instant startup but not have a pump always running so we went to these for our coolant pumps:
1 HP Stainless Steel Shallow Well Pump and Tank with Pressure Control Switch - 950 GPH
That has worked out very well. Note that these pumps do not come with a foot valve so you need to one with on the intake.
Bob

Thank you for that!

Been around shallow-well pumps for 70 years. We had.... ta da.. would you believe it? Shallow wells. For potable water.

:)

Yet never ONCE twigged to their possible utility for moving coolant, interrupted/cyclical demand!

I've a too-good to throw away pair of 4" X 10" housings lying idle that'll now serve my needs. No grinding involved here, but the principle's the same, any machining operation with similar water-based emulsion coolant chemistry.

Tempted to put a spiral of Copper screen wire into one of them. Not for filtering.

Biocide, rather.

Over years we have had paper dragouts, centrifugal that look like a washing machine drum, hydrocyclones, 2000 gallon settling tanks, and DME systems. ... After all that experimenting we now just have a 30-40 gallon tank at each machine with one or two baffles and use these after the pump and one the way into the machine
Bob, thank you, that's tremendously helpful real-world experience.

Yes the Mayfran HPF-LP is great it has seals on the sides of the paper so that it does have wash over on the paper. When the paper indexes forward you see a strip of white on each side of the paper. Worth the money as the crappy Taiwan paper filter would wash over the paper and contaminate the clean tank. This does not happen with the Mayfran unit.

Back