Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Grockel grinder - truing the ways

I am going to “true” the “ways” on my grinder.
    The ways are 11-1/2’ long, about 1-3/8” wide and about 20” apart. The head travel 8’.

First I need to assess accurately just what I have.
    Then I need to make corrections.
    I would like to map it out about ever 1 inch or so.

So – how do I do that? I don’t think levels alone will tell me enough.
    I don’t think piano wire is accurate enough, but it is an option.
    The only thing I can think of is some form of laser or optical device.

Of course I would like it to be as accurate as possible but I think I would be happy if I could get it to within 0.005” over the full length. A small deviation over the full distance is tolerable. Small bumps and dips in a short distance are not.

Then how do I correct it. Is this doable by scraping? Perhaps a temporary rail trolley setup to move a grinding head over it.

I will add a picture if I can do that as a new member without prior posts.

It is a Gockel G30 with a 10HP head.
    The ways are covered with a strip of spring steel. The head rolls on 4 steel rollers.
    The ways are steel not cast. They have developed a small crown across the width.

I know there is lots on information I am not including here but did not want to make it too long.
    I need to be able to do this with only putting it out of service for a week at a time. Could be multiple times.

If there are short low spots could I fill with Belzona product or something.
    I am not a machinist but was an industrial mechanic.

I can spend a few thousand for gear but not much more.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How old is this machine?

To be clear, which way are the ways/rails crowned? Along the length or across from front to back?

The only trouble that I have ever encountered was rust and grit under the wear strips. We would occasionally pull up the strips and stone the rails, coat with oil, and re-tension the wear strips. We have had to replace the wear strips but never had to touch the rails.

These Gockel machines are weldments. You can twist and raise/lower them easily at the mounting pads.

If the rails are indeed worn then I imagine that the grinding head slide is shot also. They get sloppy especially if it is an old machine. There is not much there to keep the grit and coolant out of the head ways.

The carriage rides on four bearings as you said. Also, there are four that ride underneath the rails, and there are inboard bearings.

I cannot remember if the rails are screwed or welded on. If fastened, then they can be removed and surface ground. If not, since the grinding head/carriage is relatively easy to remove, the whole base can be sent out for grinding.

Gockel did not scrape the rails, they were ground.

There is a member on this site named CASH. He would have more insight.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A temporary rail trolley or the grinders trolly if the rollers are still good might hold an indicator to strike the chuck off to one side where it got little or no wear. Yes looking for how straight a path not a long taper because the whole chuck may need to be tilted.
    I dont know how the rails are attached.The wear strip might be considered perhaps just doing them.
    Should get it to better than .002 IMHO

Might set a straight edge on the chuck and shim it dead straight then indicate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could contact Gockel America and chat with them:

Grinding Machinery & Supply, Gockel America

Also, the chuck trunnions and journals may be worn. The grease gets washed out quickly. Does this machine have the hydraulic chuck clamp or is it manual?

Bill

5. Likes Matt_Maguire, michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi,

Good questions.
    How old - old - near as I can tell about 1968.
    Rail crown - this is across the width (1 3/8") - I was a little surprised by this, the wheel must have convex wear - have not checked.
    Welded - yes this machine is a weldment. Do you mean you can actually twist this machine with the jacking bolts. There are 6 of them.
    When I set the machine in place and leveled it I could not detect any twisting as I leveled it. It seems like a pretty sturdy beam.
    Head slide - yes other items need attention. Most of those I think I can deal with. Straightening 12' rail is not so obvious to me.
    Carriage bearings - as you discribe except this machine does not have any "holddown" rolls under the rails.
    I wish the rails were screwed on - no luck - welded.
    I will be removing the entire carriage but sending out the base (est 4000/bs) is not an option for me. I have to do whatever in situ.
    Scraping - I was thinking more in terms of how to remove metal not so much surface finish. If grinding is doable I think that would be more practical.

Any thoughts on how to accurately assess rails?

Thanks
    Glen

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PassNCrash View Post
    Hi,

Good questions.
    How old - old - near as I can tell about 1968.
    Rail crown - this is across the width (1 3/8") - I was a little surprised by this, the wheel must have convex wear - have not checked.
    Welded - yes this machine is a weldment. Do you mean you can actually twist this machine with the jacking bolts. There are 6 of them.
    When I set the machine in place and leveled it I could not detect any twisting as I leveled it. It seems like a pretty sturdy beam.
    Head slide - yes other items need attention. Most of those I think I can deal with. Straightening 12' rail is not so obvious to me.
    Carriage bearings - as you discribe except this machine does not have any "holddown" rolls under the rails.
    I wish the rails were screwed on - no luck - welded.
    I will be removing the entire carriage but sending out the base (est 4000/bs) is not an option for me. I have to do whatever in situ.
    Scraping - I was thinking more in terms of how to remove metal not so much surface finish. If grinding is doable I think that would be more practical.

Any thoughts on how to accurately assess rails?

Thanks
    Glen
    What keeps the carriage from lifting?

This one is older than any I have dealt with. I think the oldest was 1984.

I would start with contacting Gockel first. See what they have to say.

Bill