What's new
What's new

Harig 612

spaeth

Hot Rolled
Does anyone know the difference between a Harig 612 and a Harig Super 612 surface grinders? Does the Super have better bearings or are they different way types or ?
Wanting to upgrade from a rather worn old Boyar Schultz that has served me well and perhaps looking for a nice Harig.
spaeth

I have had 2 Harigs one 70-80 vintage 4 digit serial, and my current one 6 digits serial. Both were labelled Super.

There is a different spindle between the old and the newer. The old spindle has 2 bearings, the newer spindle has 3 bearings. The way to tell is the 3 bearing spindle has 5 set screws to hold in the spindle to the housing. The 5th set screw is located at the 6 o'clock position about 2 inches back. Units with 2 bearings do not have that setscrew.

The spindles are interchangeable between the grinders.

Does anyone know the difference between a Harig 612 and a Harig Super 612 surface grinders? Does the Super have better bearings or are they different way types or ?
Wanting to upgrade from a rather worn old Boyar Schultz that has served me well and perhaps looking for a nice Harig.
spaeth

I have a Harig Super 612 as well. The guy that you want to speak with is Jim Seyller, a 40 + year former employee with Harig. He has a company called JDS Technical Support and sells all of the Harig surface grinder parts and accessories. His number is 847-683-0476. Harig Tech Support - JDS Technical Support

Good luck...

Steve

Tom & Steve,
Thanks men for the info on the Harig grinders. After
asking the same questions to other Harig owners no one seemed to know or who to call. They all agreed that the
Harigs are good machines. Most told me to stay away from the teflon way machines. A pal of mine has a 618 and when it is running the spindle is super quiet. Easy to get a good finish with that machine too. I'll be calling on Mr.
Seyller and looking for a nice Super 612.
spaeth

A solid answer to a question that perhaps many others asked or wondered about.
Question: What are the differences between the Harig Super 612 and the 612? According to the Gentleman Jim at
JDS Tech Support, a long time Harig employee, the answer is; When Bridgeport took over Harig they dropped the Super from the name. Therefore no difference, anything Super 612 is therefore older. There were many different features offered on both era's of machines but being Super does not denote any of them. Nice to know.
spaeth

I am generally a used buyer, but for adapters I like new, direct from Sopko.

Sopko's web site seems not to to show easy on line ordering.
How does the direct price tag compare to say Mc-Master or MSC?
For sure I'm very loyal to this brand as the source with so very many on wheels but a quick click and buy counts.
So that leads to distributors, markups, and who goes the lowest this month.
Bob

Yes, no online sales need to call the CS number. I don't recall if the price was any less than others, I was buying Dumore parts as well. I had bought a new in the box dumore on CL, and it arrived without brushes. At $200 for the grinder, $15 for brushes was a joy.

Most told me to stay away from the teflon way machines.

What's wrong with the Teflon ways?

That's all I've ever ran.

I really love the Harig's use of the cable!

A chum had a B&S (?) back in the day and the backlash "donk" on each end just doesn't seem to play well with trying to hold size.
???

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

OX,
I appreciate your reply about the Teflon ways. The guy
at JDS Tech Supply who knows Harigs well also said those ways worked well. He did say that in some shops where the dust was thick and house keeping was poor the teflon would wear and especially when doing heavy work. I'll stand corrected on that point.
spaeth

Well, how heavy of work are you dooing on a Harig?

Either way - I like mine.
That's what we had at my previous job and I liked it enough to buy my own, and after seeing the rack/pinion jobbies since - I sure am glad that I got this thing!

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

OX,
I appreciate your reply about the Teflon ways. The guy
at JDS Tech Supply who knows Harigs well also said those ways worked well. He did say that in some shops where the dust was thick and house keeping was poor the teflon would wear and especially when doing heavy work. I'll stand corrected on that point.
spaeth

IMO it would be easier to epoxy on a couple new strips of wear material (rulon, teflon, etc.) than having to re-scrape the iron and perpetually lose material. One of the perks of adding wear material when rebuilding an old iron way machine. IOW, the wear isn't the teflon's fault, it's due to the harsh environment.

Back