What's new
What's new

Harig 6x12 Spindle/Lovejoy Coupling

greywynd

Plastic
Does anyone happen to know the Lovejoy coupling Part number? Seems the spider is toast in my grinder, and I'd like to get the new one to have on hand when I tear into it.

The Harig manual lists it as part # 17749901 for the spider,

and part # 16213126 for the coupling.

Thanks!

Does anyone happen to know the Lovejoy coupling Part number? Seems the spider is toast in my grinder, and I'd like to get the new one to have on hand when I tear into it.

The Harig manual lists it as part # 17749901 for the spider,

and part # 16213126 for the coupling.

Thanks!

Unless it is marked Lovejoy (and THEIR part number), or so-called-out in the manual as Lovejoy, it might be one of the several OTHER similar-in-concept, different-in-execution couplings.

Some still have parts, others not.

I'd confirm that first, as you might need to source a whole new assembly.

Tru Tech shows a Love Joy coupling in the parts for Harig grinders, however it could easily be another make depending on how many sources Harig used over the years. Guess I'll have to get it apart and see what I have, was just hoping to avoid the delay!

Tru Tech Systems, Inc. :: Mechanical Drive :: Spindle Coupling

So long as it is listed like that - as "formal" spares specific to your grinder model or family-of, by either the OEM or an experienced support organization - the risk the consumable part won't fit is rather low.

Otherwise.. look at how many combinations - 850,000 + Lovejoy/Timken claim:

Jaw Type Couplings - Lovejoy - a Timken company

And they are not even close to the only maker of goods of similar function!

To the good, IF/AS/WHEN you know WHICH? Elastomer spiders can be had for but 10% the cost of the whole assembly. Even from usually pricey MSC!

:)

It's a standard size but I do not recall the number.
When pulling the motor take it straight out and mark the orientation of the coupling teeth so that the same tooth goes back in the same slot when you put it back together.
On older machines it was balanced as an assembly.
You'll know if your was, there will be balance holes in the coupling body.
Bob

Well, it turns out it was a different make, it’s a ‘100 series’ by a company called Gerbing. Looks like they were around years ago, but have since disappeared.

It looks like their spider is slightly different than most, and the only ones around look to be new old stock. So I think I’ll replace the hubs and spider as a unit.

Well, it turns out it was a different make, it’s a ‘100 series’ by a company called Gerbing. Looks like they were around years ago, but have since disappeared.

It looks like their spider is slightly different than most, and the only ones around look to be new old stock. So I think I’ll replace the hubs and spider as a unit.

LOL! My wife of nearly thirty years.. committed before we married that she would NEVER say:

"I told you so!"..

Instead?

She smiles and says: "I HAVE told you!"

AFAIK, Gerbing's line was acquired by T.B. Woods, which was in turn folded into Dodge (or had been, already), which AFAIK is part of ABB/Rockwell Automation along with Baldor-Reliance, Dodge, Master, & c. these days. NEW spiders MAY still be stocked, at least as NOS, and at lower risk that the eBay dice-roll, ex:

Gerbing Jaw Couplings Inventory Clearance

Lovejoy, OTOH, is now a Timken property, and Timken is owned in turn by someone else (SKF?) who in turn..., etc.

Harry Timken probably known as "pinwheel Harry", other side of the pale, he'd be spinning in his grave at such a high velocity over that series of insults. To the good, he HAD made bearings of a grade to support that sort of activity...

Call any local Industrial Supply house like Grainger, Macmaster Carr, MSC, Many bearing houses have them too, etc. and they will have them in stock. Measure the shaft sizes. Count the number of teeth and openings before you call. Just say motor Love-Joy coupling as they won't have a clue what a Harig is.

Last edited:
I am lat to this thread but a note anyway. When assembling the motor to spindle leave the setscrew loose on the motor side of the coupling. Then slide the motor onto the spindle and bolt tight. On the bottom of the spindle housing is a hole that provides access to the setscrew an a thin screwdriver can slide the coupling together, then tighten the setscrew.

Back