What's new
What's new

Harig oil pump

rbleth51

Plastic
Good afternoon all.

So I finally have my new (to me) Harig Super 612 home, unloaded and in the garage. It is not in the shop yet as the snow is piled way too high and the ground is way too soft from the "warm" days to move it in yet.

In the mean time I have begun the cleaning process and started digging into things to see exactly what I got in the deal.

When I bought it I was told by the previous owner that the oil pump was bad. In researching here and elsewhere on the web it appears that this might have been kind of a common problem. I got the pump out and started looking things over. The wiring comming out of the pump has a plug on the end of it. However I do not have a socket that fits it. After some rumaging through the odds and ends in the cabinet I found an electical cord with a matching socket on the end. It was marked for 125V. Someone had spliced on another cord with a common 120V household style plug on it. When plugged in the pump quietly hummed. But I could not tell on the bench if it was actually spinning. I removed the botom of the unit to expose the rotor and it is in fact spinning. This leads to a couple of questions.

Can anyone tell me from the picture below if this is a factory Harig pump? It does not look like the pumps I have seen in pictures here.
2309-bottom-view.jpg

Same pump? Maybe?

Jim,

That sure looks a heck of a lot like what I have on the bottom/intake end. There is not one iota of labeling on mine, aside from some numbers that look like they were hand scratched/engraved into the plastic on what would be the top as it sits in the machine.

Not sure what to think there. Maybe mine was replaced? A model similar but from a different year? Maybe it is supposed to be 220v and the guy I got it from didn't realize it and assumed 120. Was yours hard wired or did it have a plug? Thanks for the pics Jim, very hemphill in figuring this all out. Definitely has me closer to the answer!

I will take a better side view picture of it later and post it to compare to yours. There are more shots of it in my photos section here if anyone wants to lay their eyeballs on it.

Now I need to get some Harig way oil. The stuff that is in it is pretty nasty. I see a lot of posts about getting it from Harig, but can't for the life of me find it/them. Can anyone point me at them? It looks like they are owned by someone else now, but I haven't been able to wade through it all online to figure out who. And more than $50 a gallon is the best i have found in the few places I have seen it.

Thanks.

-Rob

Yes, the pump had a small plug on the end of the cord. I think it was a "twist-lock", but can't say for sure. I reworked the Harig over a dozen years ago, and when I did, I replaced the pump with a new one. I sold the old one a few years ago to another PM Forum member, and that's why I took those pictures.

I think the general consensus is that you use the lightest weight "way-oil" that you can find. I don't think Harig exists anymore, they were owned by Bridgeport when I was getting parts. BP went under and Hardinge obtained the production rights to manufacture the BP mill, haven't heard if anyone picked up the Harig rights.

Does not look like the one I bought for my Harig. Looks like an after market. OEM pump is expensive and works well, but if I were to replace it again I would look for something cheaper than Harigs' pump.

Krutch

Back