What's new
What's new

Harig Steptool Fixture Problems

Courier250

Plastic
Anyone know the correct oil for a Harig steptool fixture? I get a couple taps sharpened and it starts to gum up. I am currently using mineral spirits since 7 wt spindle oil was too heavy. It has a fisheye oiler. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks michiganbuck, I'll try that. The operators manual doesn't list and specs on the lubricant. A friend of mine was surprised that there is not a seal on the spindle. It's a neat little fixture. The plunge action for cutter relief does a lot of things: side relief on taps, end relief on mill cutters, shape the stone with a radius and get brad point drills that work super great on sheet metal.

I have made use of many grit control odd practices.
A cut out of milk bottle plastic in front of the shaft/bearing bore on a bench grinder.
The same behind the wheel mount on a Cinci wheel head on a dry running machine..
The same on a gun drill fixture behind the bushing.
a slip over bushing on a long run cutters sharpening th keep grits out of a collet holder.
A turn of masking tape at the seal area of a work head or spindle.
A line of masking tape at the long travel table to the base opening on surface grinders and Tc grinders.
A drop in shield to the back of a magnetic chuck..and to the front side... to the front side of a TC grinder like a Cini #2.(rounded edge sheet metal is good for a quick drop-in shield.)

Masking tape is good because the glue is easy to remove..and it might lats a week or a few years depending on where you use i.
*A turn of tape might be good for the Steptool.

I have the steptool mini set and a step tool like tap grinder likely to sell both next spring.

Agree it (Steptool)is a very nice/handy fixture to have.

*Some of the old time machines/fixtures had better seals and grit consideration. Many newer ginders need to have the table remove at one or two years to keep them in good order. Many top quality/name grinders are poor design as if they are designed to be a throw away at not many years..

Mills and lathes are getting better. With carbide tooling and machining hard materials grit/chip control is making machine makers more in tune with better sealing / shielding IMHO.

Last edited:

Back