What's new
What's new

Harig Steptool Relief Grinding Fixture Alignment Bar

lathehand

Cast Iron
I have a Harig Steptool relief grinding fixture but not the alignment accessory used to time the workpiece to the cam. I found a picture of the accessory but I have been unable to figure out how it is used. Can anyone give me some tips on making and using an alignment fixture?

I'm disappointed that no one has responded, a friend and I are trying to figure out the same accessory. Seems items such as this never make it with the sale of the main item.

Gerrit

All the step tool fixtures I have used the alignment fixture is simply a center finder so at the peak of the cam your cutting lip is on center.
So just an eyeball use post or a post with a short swing horizontal finger to show the fixture center line.

With a tilt fixture (not Harig step tool) the alignment fixture sets its base off the fixture spindle not off the table.

Many grinder hands just eyeball the lip to be horizontal with not using the alignment fixture so still being well with-in 1/2 degree, the Ok angle in a non specified angle tolerance..

Last edited:
Thank you michiganbuck, that helps. The manuals are useless, mainly advertising style.

Richard, I am not the original poster but thought 4 days was fairly patient :-) The patent is actually more useful than the 'manuals', I even bought what was supposed to be a manual and it was just a bunch of hints. Not very helpful if you don't already know how to do this. US2958167A - Grinder fixture
- Google Patents

I think u are referring to a lip positioned that my be Hargis terms however if you

I have a Harig Steptool relief grinding fixture but not the alignment accessory used to time the workpiece to the cam. I found a picture of the accessory but I have been unable to figure out how it is used. Can anyone give me some tips on making and using an alignment fixture?

However if that does not help & if we can get in touch on the phone I can walk you through this & possibly can get desired results I will monitor this forum For a few days & u can reply (fishman help) I will send you my phone # good luck

alignment accessory

Put your step tool on a plate. Height measure from the plate to the center line of a chucked cutter.
Next make a 1/2 x 3/4 x 1 1/4" CRS block..(about).. To one side of the 3/4 x 1 1/2 face, ream a 3/8 hole.

Make a 3/8 rod to the 1/16 shorter than length of the height measure. and drill and tap a 10/32 in one end.

Drill/tap a set screw in the side of you block to hold the 3/8 rod vertical with the 10/32 pointing up.

Make a locator 1/4 wide 1/8 thick x 1" long with a hole for a 10/32 screw at flat center.

Grind one end of locator so taking off 1/16 so making your step-tool center line locator when it is mounted to the top end of the 3/8 rod.

You eye ball the cutting edge of your cutter to the locator when your cam is in the fall away position for grinding clearance to a cutter. (just in side the fall away position is best.0

Most often one will butter-fly (back and forth) all the cutting lips in a circle grind fashion.

Then locate each tooth to the cam and grind, bring the cam relief up to just making the edge sharp.. doing same to each tooth edge insures all the lips are spot-on being the same.

Back