What's new
What's new

Harvel surface grinder

Greenworks

Plastic
Looking at buying a Harvel 815 surface grinder. I'm not finding any information on this company. I can't even find a data plate on the machine anywhere. Only thing identify it is Harvel on the cover in big orange cast letters. There's a few I've found elsewhere for sale online, but no company information, or whether they're good machines. Anyone know anything about the brand??

SG harvel
I have never seen one / the lager one look like a fair/good machine. That small one I wonder what size the wheel. For one ups and the like I like a 7” wheel because one can buy them for low price so dressing angle and the like don’t consume an expensive wheel.
8”x15” Used Harvel Surface Grinder, Mdl. 815, W/Magnetic Chuck & Grinding Wls | eBay
harvel surface grinder - Yahoo Image Search Results

SG are mostly condition rated.. if it is USA , German, Uk or the like made, and in good condition likely an OK/or good machine.

New to me too, never seen one in a shop. Parts may/may not be interchangeable with other makes. Above post comment about condition is sound advice

My father designed and manufactured the Harvel Surface Grinder. He had a small manufacturing facility with 3-5 employees in Pico Rivera, Calif. They were manufactured from around 1960 to the early 1980's at a rate of about 100/yr in the later years. Originally they were made in an 10x18 size and later made in 8X15 which proved to be more popular. There was alot of handwork/labor that went into manufacture of these grinders (a good part of it my fathers) with alot of attention to detail and quality. I spent time working with him when I was in High school but I was more interested in electronics than the machinery business (but learned alot) He retired and sold the business to Bridgeport machines in the early 80's who then manufactured it under their own name. They discontinued manufacture after a couple of years I think due to manufacturing problems in trying to build the product while reducing the labor content. So yes, the Harvel surface grinder is a good machine (in my biased opinion)

Very cool background, I live In Pico Rivera! I actually have a Harvel 8x15 that is in pretty good shape and currently in pieces awaiting cleaning and reassembly. It seems to be a top notch build quality, the y-axis is actually on double v-ways, while the x is on v and flat ways. Mine uses a large wheel, 12 or 14" in diameter.

Moodray, do you by chance know where in Pico Rivera they were built? Any chance you have photos? Pico Rivera was pretty big Aerospace hub, it was home to a large Northrop-Grumman plant for many years.

I have one, sure would like to find the manual. Thanks for the wonderful history. Searched around back in 2017 when I got it, did not find much. It uses a 12 inch wheel. It was on craig's list for $250.

IMG_20170113_201202.jpg
IMG_20170113_201228.jpg

Andy

Manual.... well seeing as you are in So Cal, here is a "long shot", MXR662.

When I bought my Harvel decades ago it came from Alex Skulsky, Skulsky Machiney Sales (Denver Ave in Gardena) Alex passed a very long time ago. His son and partner have or had a machinery sales firm in Huntington Beach. If they kept "dirty paper" from the old business they might have.

Sorry for the long delay in posting. To answer questions: The address for Harvel was 5135 Paramount Blvd Pico Rivera, CA (SW corner of Paramount Blvd and Fishman Rd) Its a 5,000sf brick building that my father built in the 1950's. He sold the building in the 1980's subsequent to selling the business to Bridgeport. Bridgeport moved the manufacturing to the East coast where they manufactured the milling machines. The building is still there and the last I checked on Google it was being used as an auto repair facility. My uncle owned Diamond Tool Company (punch presses)which was on the other side of Fishman Rd (no longer there) For those looking for an operating/service manual there was never one printed. The only printed material was a single sales spec sheet and an 8x10 B&W photo that were handed out at Westec trade shows. I have one of the photos & maybe a spec sheet buried in all of my old papers. There were of course engineering drawings which were handed over to Bridgeport when they bought the business. The Harvel grinders with the GE motors were the best of breed. I wouldn't recommend changing them out

Back