What's new
What's new

Help With Black Diamond Drill Bit Grinder

Walleye Hunter

Plastic
I have acquired a Black Diamond model #90 drill bit grinder from a coworker. I know very little about machining and am having a problem here. The grinder has three stations, one for aligning the bit in the collet, one for grinding the tip of the bit and another for grinding the inside of the cutting edge for some reason. I have searched drill bit grinding and it looks like I am grinding the tip well enough but for some reason the bit will not drill well unless I put it in the drill press and apply a good bit of pressure, more pressure than I can apply with a hand drill. Is there something I need to do after grinding the tip?

My research reveals that this is a good quality grinder and it should do a great job.

Thank you,
Mark

The 3 appendages are for aligning drills for sharpening. Each one does a range of sizes. They are still in business, they will be happy to send you a manual and what ever spare parts you need.

A Black Diamond is a great machine with a bit of a learning curve.

Look at the way you set the drill in the collet. Or the first station.. The web needs to be against the stops. Secondly check the relief angle.

Thank you for looking at this and the input. I had an e-mail glitch so it took me a little longer than it should have to reach them but they did get back to me and we are working on it. It seems that I was grinding with the wrong part of the wheel (I was out on the outer edge which is finer and not for sharpening the bit). The previous owner did have it set for 100 degrees and I have changed it to 118. I thought that the third station might be for sharpening on the underside of the tip but they have told me that is not the case, it is for adding other features to a bit that I probably won't use.

Drills are made heavy center section for strength. The web or across center section should be thinned to about 20% of the diameter.
so perhaps for a 3/8 drill 2 x 375 is about 75 so that size should be web= .075 or a little less.

Normal rule is about 15 to 20% Web. so .056 to .075 (about)

The Black Diamond grinders are super machines and hold their value regardless of age. Parts are still available for most of their older models. I highly recommend that you educate yourself on the art of drill grinding. Their is an abundant amount of material on the subject. There are two standard angles for grinding drill bits 118 and 135 degrees. Other angles can be ground on the Black Diamond as well, but the value of one angle over another is a subject best learned about by a little study and self experimentation.

Hi, Tim here. I have 2 Black Diamond drill grinders. I grind hundreds of drills on them every month. If you would like to PM me and talk with me, I could help you set up your machine so you can run trouble free. Have a great day.

If the third station is for point splitting that may very well be the increased feed pressure issue your fighting, done right a split ppint drill removes a lot of feed pressure - heat from the drilling process, IMHO its not a option, but a must for hand drill work. Only time you can skip it is if your drilling out from a pilot hole.

Help with Black Diamond Drill Sharpener

Hi, Tim here. I have 2 Black Diamond drill grinders. I grind hundreds of drills on them every month. If you would like to PM me and talk with me, I could help you set up your machine so you can run trouble free. Have a great day.

Found your post about the Black Diamond Drill Sharpener.

I also have acquired a Black Diamond Drill Sharpener, It was in pieces(no idea why)when I got it and I have re-assembled it as best I can from the manual I have (it's a US Army manual the I downloaded).

I spoke with Black Diamond and he told me that the sharpener must be calibrated, the wheel face dresser, the drill holder wings the setters and the Point splitter must all be calibrated with each other in order to correctly sharpen a drill. I also am missing a part to dress the perimeter (No idea what it looks like).

Unfortunately, I find it prohibitively expensive to send my machine to Black Diamond to have it set up to their standards.

Do you have any information that you could share with me on how to properly set it up/calibrate the various items so I can use it.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Jim Wright
[email protected]

It's not that complicated to set up really. There's a specific distance that the point setters/locators need to be from the setting face and then you just rotate the individual locators to get the right clearance. After that you set the dresser so once the wheel is freshly dressed it will take about .010" - .015" off the drill that was set in the setting fixture. I will check my notes, somewhere I've got that distance written down. The guy from Black Diamond gave it to me over the phone once. You could probably also just dress the wheel, grind a drill and then move a locator until you get it to where you have .010" or .015" gap between the drill and the locator. Then measure that one and set the rest to match.

BD.jpg

Back