Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Help With Black Diamond Drill Bit Grinder

I have acquired a Black Diamond model #90 drill bit grinder from a coworker. I know very little about machining and am having a problem here. The grinder has three stations, one for aligning the bit in the collet, one for grinding the tip of the bit and another for grinding the inside of the cutting edge for some reason. I have searched drill bit grinding and it looks like I am grinding the tip well enough but for some reason the bit will not drill well unless I put it in the drill press and apply a good bit of pressure, more pressure than I can apply with a hand drill. Is there something I need to do after grinding the tip?

My research reveals that this is a good quality grinder and it should do a great job.

Thank you,
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The 3 appendages are for aligning drills for sharpening. Each one does a range of sizes. They are still in business, they will be happy to send you a manual and what ever spare parts you need.

3. Likes Walleye Hunter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A Black Diamond is a great machine with a bit of a learning curve.

Look at the way you set the drill in the collet. Or the first station.. The web needs to be against the stops. Secondly check the relief angle.

5. Likes Walleye Hunter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for looking at this and the input. I had an e-mail glitch so it took me a little longer than it should have to reach them but they did get back to me and we are working on it. It seems that I was grinding with the wrong part of the wheel (I was out on the outer edge which is finer and not for sharpening the bit). The previous owner did have it set for 100 degrees and I have changed it to 118. I thought that the third station might be for sharpening on the underside of the tip but they have told me that is not the case, it is for adding other features to a bit that I probably won't use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    it is for adding other features to a bit that I probably won't use.
    Should be for split points....

8. Likes Walleye Hunter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Drills are made heavy center section for strength. The web or across center section should be thinned to about 20% of the diameter.
    so perhaps for a 3/8 drill 2 x 375 is about 75 so that size should be web= .075 or a little less.

Normal rule is about 15 to 20% Web. so .056 to .075 (about)

10. Likes Walleye Hunter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Black Diamond grinders are super machines and hold their value regardless of age. Parts are still available for most of their older models. I highly recommend that you educate yourself on the art of drill grinding. Their is an abundant amount of material on the subject. There are two standard angles for grinding drill bits 118 and 135 degrees. Other angles can be ground on the Black Diamond as well, but the value of one angle over another is a subject best learned about by a little study and self experimentation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, Tim here. I have 2 Black Diamond drill grinders. I grind hundreds of drills on them every month. If you would like to PM me and talk with me, I could help you set up your machine so you can run trouble free. Have a great day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the third station is for point splitting that may very well be the increased feed pressure issue your fighting, done right a split ppint drill removes a lot of feed pressure - heat from the drilling process, IMHO its not a option, but a must for hand drill work. Only time you can skip it is if your drilling out from a pilot hole.