What's new
What's new

Help fabricating a grinding machine for artist (point carver for jade)

Widzo

Plastic
Hello,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, but I really hope so because I have this vexing problem. I want to make a point carver, which is a very simple machine for carving jade and other hard stones. It is basically a long shaft with a chuck on the end that can take 3mm or 6mm burrs, or can be replaced with another attachment so as to mount lapidary saws, grinders and other implements. It is a very popular machine in China, but not so much elsewhere.

I am now living in a remote location, where access to parts is difficult and shipping is expensive. Otherwise I would buy this machine:

Guilin Hualun Gemstone Lapidary Machine - Buy China Machine,Lapidary Machine,Gemstone Lapidary Machine Product on Alibaba.com

This is how the machine is used
Chinese Jade Factory - YouTube

Because shipping the whole machine from China is not really an option, I would like to fabricate one. I need to buy the parts for the spindle assembly and pulley assembly from AliExpress, but I can source a motor locally. I am wondering if anyone can help me find what parts I would need and figure out how to put it together. I don't even know what questions to ask google to find a tutorial. I have a few guesses on the parts though:

These long spindles would allow me to have room around the grinding blade to maneuver the sculpture I am carving
Free Shipping!/C2 3 Main Spindle/SIEG C2 MT3 Spindle-in Machine Tool Spindle from Tools on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Here is a belt-drive assembly, but how do I attache the spindle?
Lathe spindle with flange connection plate transition plate 125 metal spindle mandrel machine three claw four claw chuck-in Power Tool Accessories from Tools on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

What chuck should I use? What about the pulleys?

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my query. I appreciate any help that you can give in helping me select parts and figure out how to put them together!

Attachments

• spindle design.jpg
    spindle design.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 289
Hi Widzo:
Will you not have exactly the same problem trying to bring in the parts you need as you would have bringing in the whole machine?
If you can buy something for a reasonable price, that is what I would do.
Unless you have a full machine shop to make or modify something, even a small problem will become insurmountable very quickly.
A simple thing like the shaft of your motor a couple of thousandths of an inch too big for the extension, and you will have a significant problem getting them to fit perfectly.
So unless you have the means to modify parts that don't fit together, I'd spend what it takes to get something already built, assembled, and tested that's designed for the job.
It will be less painful in the end, and you can get to the carving part right away.
Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

The machine is very simple. likely the cutting tools/bits need be very hard , perhaps diamond. Sharpening diamond cutting tools can be expensive. Likely high speed is needed so balance of spindle important. Perhaps a collet chuck would be better than a closing drill chuck.
Yes just thinking out loud because I have never seen this process. It does look cool.

Many ID grinder spindles would be good for such and can be had for $100 or a few 100.

The machine is basically a spindle mounted on a stand. Dumore tool post grinders (many models) are common and rather inexpensive in used condition (just take a look on Ebay or similar). Best for your application can be one with interchangeable spindle. I have one and made a collet adapter for it - the grinder spindle is No 1 Morse taper. Mounting it on a stand will be easy as the whole thing, including the motor mounts with one bolt.

Hi All:
I agree there are lots of solutions; the point I was making is that to my mind, the logistics of getting pieces are exactly the same as the logistics of getting a whole machine.
Personally, I'd be looking at a dental lab grinder, especially one for polishing removable partial dentures.
Compact, high speed, with a neat quick change collet system and exactly the same form factor as the OP's Youtube linked machine, but with dust collection already mounted.

But I'm still waiting to hear back from the OP why shipping a small machine is difficult but shipping the parts for one is not.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

One good reason to place the spindle away from the motor is the coolant needed.
My Dumores would work but likely I would mount the spindle away from the motor and switches like the model shown..

likely cost perhaps $600. to build the machine with buying good used stuff off ebay.

Dental lathe and even a wood lathe could work but most are limited to 3,400 or 4,000 rpm. hat may be slow for the need.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I appreciate the suggestions, there is a lot here to think about. I have a few clarifications based on the responses:

1) I am reluctant to import a whole machine because of the cost of shipping to where the workshop is. If I import one or two spindles to the United States, I can take it in my luggage and mount it when I get there. Engines are readily available. I could find a machine shop to make modifications.

2) The operating speed does not need to be extremely high. 1000rpm to 6000rpm should work. The way this is often accomplished is with a pulley system. Slower speeds actually reduce operating temperature and make bits last longer

3) Diamond bits are not sharpened. They wear out.

4) Ideally, I would want to import or manufacture the spindle in the US, and then take with me in my luggage. How do I find a local machinist to help me with this? What kind of company do I look for?

Thanks again for all your help. Lots of food for thought here.

Buy a good quality import drill press (~$300). Change motor pulley to increase speed if needed, up to double the original RPM should be OK for the spindle to take for some period (then replace with better bearings). Lay it on its back with the spindle up on an appropriate stand. Fabricate a table and basin to suit from plastic or lacquered wood. Carve jade.

https://www.amazon.com/General-Inte...1542088651&sr=1-2&refinements=p_72:1248909011

Back