What's new
What's new

Help with Harig 618 Surface Grinder

jbacc

Hot Rolled
Good Afternoon,

I am having an issue getting my Harig 618 surface grinder to grind square. Please forgive me if I use incorrect terminology, admittedly, I am very new to surface grinding. The grinder has a Walker electromagnetic chuck which was ground flat in place by the grinder. I have dressed various grinding wheels but no matter what I have tried, I cannot get the grinder to cut square.

I placed a dial indicator on the spindle and ran it across the chuck, left to right, front to back at numerous points on the chuck and it remained within 1/2 a thousandth in all locations. I tried grinding with WD-40 and dry and nothing makes a difference. I attached some photos which I hope will show the issue I am having.

Any and all advice and/or comments are most welcome along with my sincerest thanks and appreciation.

Joe

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0805.jpg
    IMG_0805.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 91
A grinder will not "square" up to a side.
It makes things flat and parallel, (true to the bottom only) it does not care if the end is 45 degrees off.
After grinding the two sides flat you need to put the part in grinding vise or clamp it to a square plate to make the ends at 90.

Google "squaring up stock", most advice will be about a mill but the same concepts apply.
Difference between a mill and a grinder being that a mill normally locates off the vise jaws which the grinder does not have so you have to think about where the "loading and reference" surfaces are.
Hence the grinding vise or 90 square plate needed.
Bob

Bob,

Thanks so much for responding. I have been chasing my tail and quite frustrated by it. You comments make perfect sense and I appreciate your help.

Joe

A
A grinder will not "square" up to a side.
It makes thinks flat, (true to the bottom only) it does not care if the end is 45 degrees off.
After grinding the two sides flat you need to put the part in grinding vise or clamp it to a square plate to make the ends at 90.

Google "squaring up stock", most advice will be about a mill but the same concepts apply.
Difference between a mill and a grinder being that a mill normally locates off the vise jaws which the grinder does not have.
Bob

Back