What's new
What's new

Help! Harig Auto 612 Driving Me Nuts!

Th961605

Plastic
I picked up a Harig Super 612 last week, and the crossfeed is driving me crazy--The auto cross feed is either stuttering, not completing a rotation, or cycling in the middle of a longitudinal feed (or a combination of all three).There was some backlash when operating manually, so I was ready to bite the bullet and order a new lead screw and nut block, but after taking it apart, they both looked great, there was just some hard grease buildup that needed to be dealt with. Post cleaning: the cross feed runs great manually. However, the issue is still there when the auto crossfeed is on. I moved on to the stepper motor, and both bearings look great--However---I did notice that turning the lovejoy was difficult from this end of the lead screw, specifically in one direction.

Has anyone ever dealt with this before? Could the lead screw be bent even though it seems to crank fine manually?

There’s a plastic tube that runs the crossfeed and takes care of the table movement. When I bought mine was it noisy because the previous owner had steam cleaned the machine before it was put up for sale. I sprayed some wd-40 and it resolved itself.

Thanks for the reply majohnson. I cleaned the lead screw and nut block really well--both had hardened grease on/in them--and the backlash disappeared. The crossfeed handwheel was still acting funky in automatic mode, but I noticed that the wishbone that controls the electronics on this was improperly set up, causing the stepper motor to hesitate, and want to go in two different directions at once. I adjusted this and the crossfeed is smooth and consistent now.
For anyone else who may have this issue in the future, where did you spray on/in the plastic tube, and where do you think it was sticking at (the lovejoy in the rear, or where the lead screw enters)?

My apologies for only part of the fix. I pulled the crossfeed drive motor, and cleaned the inside of the slip tube. It was one of those days.

Back