What's new
What's new

Help! J&S 540 hydraulic problem.

Casala

Plastic
Hi,
I am new to this forum and hope there is some help for me on here.

I have a Jones and Shipman 540 surface grinder on which the table long traverse will only power hydraulically in one direction. I only used the machine periodically so I am guessing there may be a spool valve or something stuck?

I have removed the table and checked the piston as I though the seal may have gone but everything is in great condition. I have now taken the top cover at the front of the cross slide and discovered the valve block but can't see how to dismantle it?

Any suggestions please...

Last edited:
I cured the problem, or at least Andmar Engineering cured it by telling me what to do in less than one minute..
I am very embarrassed to admit it but it was my fault. Having now retired from Toolmaking professionally and after nearly 50 years of buying and using various Jones & Shipman grinders I failed to notice that I had tripped the "park" lever on the right of the saddle. The machine parked the table to the right just as it was designed to do!
Ill have to put it down to a Senior Moment.

Casala, i have a model 1400, for some reason it will only hydraulic feed in one direction, regardless o where the flip flop paddle lever is it seems to ignore this and only feed in one direction until it hits the end stop.

Does this sound like the same issue you had?

Thx

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

With the hydraulic pump turned on:-

Turn the lever on the rightmost side of the controls in a clockwise direction. That should allow the hydraulics to feed in both directions. if the over-travel stops under the saddle on the right side are moving the control lever then that will cause the valve to trip again as soon as the table reaches the left end of its travel.

If the lever on the panel does not have a movement that feels 'positive' then the linkage between the lever and the control valve or the spring between the lever and the trip mechanism has come off/come loose. In that case, remove all the handles from the control panel, remove the panel.. There should be a spring between an outrigger of the lever's shaft and the trip pawl operated by the over travel stop lever. There should also be a bicycle chain connecting link between the control valve piston and the latch lever next to it. if either are broken, missing or disconnected, then replace or repair them.

PS, It's bad form to put essentially the same post in multiple threads, It won't win you any friends.

This may be different on the 1400, im not recognizing the part uou are discribing
963899ce28a2cc6ab10e8cb6b78bd882.jpg
76cf8c74d228a7d7a71a1e44193dd526.jpg

I beleive this is the park button Casala was refering to of which there does not appear to be the equivalent on the 1400 model
93033f007c4f6d5435095fc6ccef9a84.jpg

With the hydraulic pump turned on:-

Turn the lever on the rightmost side of the controls in a clockwise direction. That should allow the hydraulics to feed in both directions. if the over-travel stops under the saddle on the right side are moving the control lever then that will cause the valve to trip again as soon as the table reaches the left end of its travel.

If the lever on the panel does not have a movement that feels 'positive' then the linkage between the lever and the control valve or the spring between the lever and the trip mechanism has come off/come loose. In that case, remove all the handles from the control panel, remove the panel.. There should be a spring between an outrigger of the lever's shaft and the trip pawl operated by the over travel stop lever. There should also be a bicycle chain connecting link between the control valve piston and the latch lever next to it. if either are broken, missing or disconnected, then replace or repair them.

PS, It's bad form to put essentially the same post in multiple threads, It won't win you any friends.
Oh wait, yes i think i get what you are saying, yes this linkage is in tact, yes it is triggered successfully by the Y axis limit stops. Yes the plunger does go in and out of the valve block

Oh wait, yes i think i get what you are saying, yes this linkage is in tact, yes it is triggered successfully by the Y axis limit stops. Yes the plunger does go in and out of the valve block

If that is the case, then it is possible that the valve block needs to be taken apart and cleaned. If the hydraulic oil (Mobil Vacuoline 1405) is allowed to become dirty, or the machine is not used for a very long time, then the various plungers in the valve block can get stuck in their bores. The cure for this is to disassemble the valve block and carefully clean everything.It can take a bit of time to get any stuck pistons etc. out (because they're stuck!).

Neither Jubilee machine tools or Andmar are listing the various gaskets that are underneath the valve blocks, so it might be neccessary to try Hardinge/J&S in leicester unless you can find any suppliers in NZ. Worst case is to carefully make replacements.

This is the thing i found really interesting, there are no gadgets and the valve block is......well......a block as you say.
Also the paddle slector has no orings inside.

I find it hard to accept that everything fits together so well that it doesnt leak, so i guess it is a simalar idea to the rest of the machine, that is that it is designed for leaks.

There are gadgets on the underside external connections but not inside the 'tanked' section inside.

I was thinking about yoyr other suggestions, it is possible the disengage plunger has a failed oring on it, ill pull this appart tomorrow and check.
67b72a931075ae762b905d5dd00257a6.jpg

Y Axis disengage lever, again plunger has no orings or gaskets present, no excessive wear present, no foreign debris present.

Pluger goes right through the block.
9b03e5611952fd375082759c695bd827.jpg
4372866dfafe1951f6aa98c8491cdca1.jpg

It looks like the teacher cut the oil groves on the outboard slide way and let the 1st year apprentice do the inboard slide way with an angle grinder

Good progress today, this is the middle plunger (middle one), it was stuck, taped it out cleaned it with scotch bright, x axis traverse is now working in both directions.
Now on to the y axis advanced
1057302c7595b9a3341922bd528842ef.jpg

All sorted, another jammed plunger on the y axis traverse, everthings working great now.

Thanks for the help.

Back