What's new
What's new

Help with K O Lee B860 T&C grinder

skipd1

Cast Iron
I just purchased a very used KO lee B860 tool and cutter grinder. I plan to completely disassemble it, clean it up and try to get it to work somewhat accurately. It only came with the grinding head and spindle with no additional pulleys and just the arbor that was mounted on the spindle. I would like to find a source of accessories for it that aren't totally over priced like on Ebay. I plan to start by going through the motor and checking out the spindle. The motor works but the bearings need to be replaced. The spindle seems okay and still shows somewhat clean oil in the sight glass, so that's hopeful. Everything moves with respect to the Table and the elevation of the motor head.
I will take some pictures and post them tomorrow. Any help and advise with respect to this project and acquiring some accessories would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

skipd1

I originally thought K.O.Lee was out of business, but I guess thru LeBlond, they still make grinders. Ebay is really the only way for accessories. And those accessories are quite high in demand hence the prices.

skipd1, I also have a B860, acquired years ago with minimal tooling that I scrounged or made as needed. IIRC the only parts really specific to that grinder are the T-slot arm (had to make that) and the pulleys (not all of which are needed if you use a VFD like I am). And wheel guards. Everything else is more or less generic for any small T&C grinder (tailstocks, work heads, tooth rests, tap/endmill/radial rinding fixtures, etc.)

IIRC the belts were an odd size and hard to, I got a half dozen once I tracked them down. I take my chances with no belt guards.

I never did find a B860 manual, though manuals and parts lists for similar KO grinders are available.

If you ever figure out how to disassemble the quill (spindle) I'd love to know the secret. Fortunately my quill bearings are OK and I didn't want to mess with it, but I'd still like to know how.

-Steve M.

I have the motor removed from the spindle casting, but there are flanges on each side of the motor shaft and I can't seem to see how to remove at least one to remove the bearing cover and replace the bearings? Any ideas, are they pressed on or what?

How to remove this arbor with the center allen set screw??

Well I've finally got the motor and spindle separated and the pulleys off but one side of my spindle has an arbor on it with a 7/32 Allen set screw. I can loosen it but it won't come out and isn't completely loose. I think the attached arbor will come off but not sure how to remove it without damaging the spindle. I have tried to post some pictures and will try again here.

IMG_1144.jpg

Skipd1IMG_1151.jpgIMG_1153.jpg

Back