What's new
What's new

Help needed with a Freeport Surface Grinder

radarguy

Plastic
Does anyone have any experience with a Freeport Surface Grinder, vintage 1986? I need to rebuild the spindle (of course) and the cost for outsourcing it is prohibitive at $2500. Even considering the promise that it will be better than new there is no return for a hobbyist. So if you have any advice I would appreciate it. I know that cleanliness is key and that can be addressed here but it would be nice to know if I need special tools, my press in a clean invironment, etc. Thanks

Russell

Russel

Are the bearings noisy or are you getting a bad finish? Many times I see washboard grind marks and the customer thinks the bearings are bad, but it is the diamond dresser is dull or they dressed the stone wrong and it burnishes or dulls the wheel and jumps. It would help if you put a machine size on here as there are so many sized machines and a picture or 2. Is the spindle a cartridge that sides into the head-stock? That would make it easier to repair. If you can take it out and put it on a bench. Everyone now-a-days has a digital camera so be sure to take lots of pictures. Do you have a manual with a drawing of the spindle?

If your a decent mechanic you should be able to do it and make sure you use good tools. Use a pin and hook spanner wrench and not a punch to turn nuts. Be sure to mark those nuts on the spindle before removal so when you replace them they tighten to the same location. Many or the spindles use double sets of spindle bearings with the races >> like this on Taiwan machines. Are you familiar with precision bearings? The grease is also super important too. Lets talk some more and then come up with a plan. Answer the questions above...attach a picture, take a picture of your diamond....how are your wheels....was it ever grinding good for you??? what do you grind and do you use coolant? etc. Rich

Hi
I know this is an old thread but any more info on Freeport surface grinders?
Im looking at a used one for sale but not much info online about these
Its a SGS 618B model
Thank you

Hi
I know this is an old thread but any more info on Freeport surface grinders?
Im looking at a used one for sale but not much info online about these
Its a SGS 618B model
Thank you

Kinda Ironic. I just pulled mine out of the back garage yesterday and brought it to the shop, its been sitting for 15+ years, before that we used it all the time.
Figured the Magnet would be history but its is extreamly strong. all the screws turn nice and smooth and it pretty accurate, been grinding reliefs on 1/32 endmills with it today.

bearings never heated up and I have maybe .0003 runout on diamond wheel.

only thing I never liked about it was it wasnt automatic , we used to grind parts alot on it always held perfect size and finish, then just put it away. was going to buy a tool grinder 2 weeks ago then remembered I had this in the corner covered by a tarp.

they run under 220 or 440 3 phase there is a transformer built into the control box.
Mine is ugly light blue.
the table comes off just by lifting it, you can see the ways and inspect it. then just put it back on carefully.
one guy can lift the table off, 2 is better.
the stop is a pin at the underside of the table. so be careful moving the x axis wheel cause if that pin aint in there the table falls on floor.
also the base and the main grinding unit lift off, mine never had bolts on the pads heavy as shit , Basically its 2 pcs the base and the grinding tables and all. but the x table also lifts off. I imagine for easy cleaning and getting rid of the grinding dust build up.
Keep it oiled and it will last forever.

Back