What's new
What's new

Help with OD/ID grinder. Chattering/ help with speeds and feeds????!!!

fettersp

Aluminum
Hi all,

I have a parker majestic OD/ID grinder. I'm trying to figure out how to use it properly. I indicate the part and the wheel but get chatter and the wave looking pattern on the part. I will touch the part and it seems that it want to start grinding a lot more than I want it to. The part is just under 3 inches(2.989 inches diameter)of hardened h13 and the wheel is 1.8 inches. I looked everywhere for an operating manual for a possible speed and feeds table. I can change the table feed speed and the head speed but not the spindle speed to my knowledge. My father knows the most about this type of machine but passed away earlier this year.

You may have too hard or an unbalanced wheel, too worn spindle bearings, or ways that have worn out or misadjusted and have too much clearance.

Without checking the wheel and mechanics, we've got little else to go with.

You may have too hard or an unbalanced wheel, too worn spindle bearings, or ways that have worn out or misadjusted and have too much clearance.

Without checking the wheel and mechanics, we've got little else to go with.

Agree.. perhaps add running the part too fast, wheel too much cantact, poor, dress, belt going bad, dirt slug in a belt pulley or not tight, direction of grinding after dress or in feed, infeed amount. likely more as we think about it.?

With a wheel of 1.8" OD (as mentioned) it's almost certainly ID grinding.

unfortunately it is OD grinding =(. The bearing on the the normal OD grinder are messed up so Im stuck with using the smaller wheels for OD grinding till The other grinder is fixed.
I think it is the grinding wheel. it has a high spot on it that is 2 grand high. I just had to switch out the wheel cause the abrasive was gone on the old wheel I'm not sure on how to true the wheel though. All I can find in the shop are dressing sticks but not sure on how to use them. The wheels are plated wheels. sorry im not very well versed in grinding yet but im trying to learn.

Mostly you can't dress plated wheels because they have very little diamond thickness...better waith for another wheel.
diamond wheels are for carbide grinding and likely chatter or some bad trate grinding steel.

2 grand high... is way too much wheel error...

With a wheel of 1.8" OD (as mentioned) it's almost certainly ID grinding.

He didn't say if that was the width or the diameter. Read again, he did not say o.d. Nor did he say if the 3" was an i.d. or an o.d. Not much info in that post. (Unless he cheated and went back and edited it, not that I'd ever do that :) )

The wheel on my Landis was 2" WIDE, although that might be a touch much for a Parker-Majestic. Still, ya never know. People do strange stuff.

i.d., I'd be running about 7500 on a 1.8" dia wheel in a light machine like that, depending on the hardness, .0002" per side infeed, stroke past the ends of the part about 1/3 of the wheel width in each direction, lots of coolant, damned if I know what he was talking about "indicating the wheel" - put it on the mandrel, dress it. It'll be concentric, no way around it.

Workhead middling slow, 100-ish ? Traverse speed about the same as you sway sideways to "rocka ma soul in the bosom of Abraham, rocka ma soul ..." ... similar to o.d. grinding. It should make a nice swoosh swoosh swoosh noise. With a Heald you can kick the wheel in .0002" every pass but on this I'd make a couple of traverses between infeeds.

Rough until about .002" away, pull out, measure, dress, back in, touch, adjust your feed dial to compensate for what you dressed off, grind to .001" away, measure, finish grind, measure, hope you didn't overshoot.

O.D. is a little easier to describe ...

edit: wull hell, Milland, see ?

Buck here is going to be better than me on O.D. advice, so listen to him.

The wheels are plated wheels. sorry im not very well versed in grinding yet but im trying to learn.
Put that thing in a drawer somewhere and grab some vitreous wheels. MUCH easier to deal with. You can grind od's as if they were ID's, it's kinda weird but sometimes have to do that ... but ditch the dumb plated wheels and get some nice white aluminum oxides. They are cheap. Will make your life 100 times easier.

I think we all need more information..I cant see a wheel that small being used on the wheel head of a parker.. Is it a steel part or carbide part...? Coated CBN wheel might be indicatred in to the very least one can get and the part ground to .oo1 and crocus clothed in to size..with luck and time..

Photo looks like a resin dimond wheel... and at about 6" diameter or what the wheel head needed RPM...wood something and tap the right size wheel to .oo1 might work..And yes wet if poaaible.

A 1.8 diameter wheel would almost not be higher than the wheel mount? 1.8 wide wheel?

H-13 is a tool steel and not easy to grind with diamond wheel, almost never grind that with a diamond wheel .
46 or 60 h through j Aluninum Oxide wheel may be better for a steel part.

High finish you may use a 80 to 120 but then you likely cant run dry for sure..

Im pretty sure these wheels are for the Id grinder but I have to use it for od grinding. These stick to an arbor

He didn't say if that was the width or the diameter. Read again, he did not say o.d. Nor did he say if the 3" was an i.d. or an o.d. Not much info in that post. (Unless he cheated and went back and edited it, not that I'd ever do that :) )

Welp, you got me, although his sentence "The part is just under 3 inches(2.989 inches diameter)of hardened h13 and the wheel is 1.8 inches." sure infers a 1.8" OD (as just diameter was specified).

So now with more info it sounds like a badly mounted wheel, being used on the ID spindle (unless the OD housing is very small or the mount quite long to allow clearance), and we don't know if it's a CBN or diamond wheel. And of course, it should be CBN if the workpiece is quite hard, or conventional abrasive if softer than ~50Rc.

I'll stand back and watch where this goes...

can you true a resin diamond wheel with aluminum oxide dressing sticks if so how?? I will watch that video when I get home tonight!!!

can you true a resin diamond wheel with aluminum oxide dressing sticks if so how?? I will watch that video when I get home tonight!!!

OK, I lied about standing back.

Don't use a diamond wheel on steel parts. What other options do you have? Did your dad (sorry for your loss) have any machinist buddies who could give you some hands-on training? It sounds like you need some...

QT: [can you true a resin diamond wheel with aluminum oxide dressing sticks if so how?? I will watch that video when I get home tonight!!!]
you can hack away at a diamond wheel with a carborundum stick because it is very hard but that is not deressing a wheel
Best to indicate it in to near zero..But a diamond wheel on steel is all kinds of problems.
Search for an aluminum oxise wheel or just go buy one..likely $25.00 at a local industrial store.

Last edited:
You can hack away with a carborindrm stick on a dimond wheel but that is not dressing

Best to get an AQ wheel and have a diamond point to dress it.
Any industril suppy store , perhaps $25.00, tell the diameter, width and hole size..RPM is important so be sure you are not using an ID spindle for and OD wheel.
Id wheels go sometime 20,000rpm and many OD wheels go 1800 to 3400 or about..The spindle RPM is king so no wheels to be used that are marked faster than the spindle RPM.

shown a 60 gt.Good for better finish , good small corner and best used wet..will run dry with light feeds and cooling time, and care.
Just OD ing a steel part a 46gt is OK/Good.

Hand spray bottle and a little dish soap can be a coolant.
water and a little washing soda makes an anti rust coolant.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...5192&msclkid=00fd66db3bb911bf965c382cbe2b1c0d

Last edited:
do you use aluminum oxide on hardened tool steel? these parts are 58-60 Rockwell. Iv used aluminum oxide sand paper to get a smoother finished on some parts and seems to not do much. unfortunately my father did not have many machining friends..... I know about cnc lathing and milling but abrasive grinding is a new world to me. My brother spent over 10 years doing the grinding but I just found out that he would make my dad set up for him and he doesn't know anything about setting up. now he doesn't even work and plans on growing weed in Michigan while my employee and me figure everything my dad did(mostly figuring out grinding and edm).
Also if anyone could point me in the direction of some good books to learn about grinding would be helpful
also idk if it maters but I use regular coolant on the machine. it just puts a steady stream on where the part and grinder meet

Back