What's new
What's new

Honing lubricant for carbon fiber tube

blek

Plastic
Hi all

Hi all

I'm new around here and must say very impressed with the amount of knowledge on the forums!!! I am looking to hone some matte 3k twill carbon fibre tube with a 0.2-0.3um on the ID and was wondering what type of oil/lubricant I should use with a flexhone to minimise possible absorption and/or material swelling?

Kind thanks
Blair

I ream 18mm tube to increase the ID. I use tap water to remove heat, contain the dust. Carbon fiber is brutal stuff and the splinters are likely to be classified like asbestos is my guess. Tooling takes quite a beating in the process.

Your best bet if you can is to spend the extra money to have the tube made to final dimension.

Carbon fiber is brutal stuff and the splinters are likely to be classified like asbestos is my guess.

I watch Formula One races, and seeing the pit guys grinding CF panels without dust masks makes me worried for them. I don't think the dust is as bad as asbestos, but you still shouldn't be breathing it.

I ream 18mm tube to increase the ID. I use tap water to remove heat, contain the dust. Carbon fiber is brutal stuff and the splinters are likely to be classified like asbestos is my guess. Tooling takes quite a beating in the process.

Your best bet if you can is to spend the extra money to have the tube made to final dimension.

Hi pathogen. I have found a supplier that will make it to my specs but being matte I want a more polished finish on the ID but still want the matte finish on the OD.

Back