What's new
What's new

How can I clean the splatter off tight close quarter places

MetalArtistCandy

Aluminum
I am new to welding, and this is my first sculpture. Want to clean the splatter off and paint this. Not sure what is available other than sandpaper or if sandpaper would even work.

1518E2C5-5054-4B25-A68C-F68F67EADB2A.jpg
A04F3809-8A79-4D17-8F99-C4D64B43E24B.jpg

Decrease adherent splatter in first place. Choices are anti-splatter spray or much better learn to oxy-acetylene weld or tig weld and you won’t generate splatter to begin with.

On something like this, for light spatter or discoloration, I use small diameter (1") twisted wire wheels with 1/4" shanks in a die grinder or Foredom grinder. When I actually need to remove a bit of metal (adherent spatter or shaping), 1" and 2" quick-change (e.g., Roloc) sanding disks and nonwoven abrasive pads. For gross shaping of weld beads that didn't turn out as desired, carbide double-cut burrs.

Think "Dremel", but with some real authority.

A needle gun will make short work of most spatter. But I also agree with the idea of reducing the amount of
spatter when welding. Anti-spatter spray and attention to good setup/technique will significantly reduce the
problem...

What a disgusting waste of good tooling.

Please go away.

I have drill chucks listed for sale for a year, no one purchased them or even made an offer, broken and old wrenches I found at auctions for $2 per box load. Hand wheels come From a box of random parts from auctions as well. All these parts are scraps that no one wants. You may not like it, but I am sure you dont have enough money to purchase every bit of old tooling that is out there!

If it wasnt me buying this stuff, it would be the scrapers

Also I gave my nephew a tool box full of old tools for Christmas. Cost me only $5 in random auction box loads!

The only tools people seem to care about any more are snap on.

I also have more drill chucks lister for sale here if you want to buy them.

I have drill chucks listed for sale for a year, no one purchased them or even made an offer, broken and old wrenches I found at auctions for $2 per box load. Hand wheels come From a box of random parts from auctions as well. All these parts are scraps that no one wants. You may not like it, but I am sure you dont have enough money to purchase every bit of old tooling that is out there!

If it wasnt me buying this stuff, it would be the scrapers

Also I gave my nephew a tool box full of old tools for Christmas. Cost me only $5 in random auction box loads!

The only tools people seem to care about any more are snap on.

I also have more drill chucks lister for sale here if you want to buy them.

Snap on doesn't make machinist tools. You are asking near new prices. Yes people want them. There is a store here in Tucson that does a land rush business in used tools.
S

Last edited:
You can get anti-splatter spray from some welding supplies: might help you a bit but I would save the time/money by doing some practice welding prior to your finished unit to dial in the settings/technique prior to making the splatter (e.g. DCEN/DCEP/AC etc at the most basic levels) . Also research to ensure you are using the proper rod etc. as this might also cause splatter.

What a disgusting waste of good tooling.

Please go away.

The welding needs improvement but I kind of like the concept. A lot of the iron that goes into sculpture would otherwise be melted for scrap anyway. It's no great loss.

One man's art is another man's eyesore and vice versa. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. How boring life would be if we were all the same.

Do what you want with your tools. They are yours after all. It's no one else's business. And even if it's new Snap-on stuff, so what? Snap-on will gladly make more.

Back