What's new
What's new

How do I cut diamond sharpening plates?

mhahnca

Plastic
How do I cut diamond sharpening plates? The plates are about 1mm thick and vary in grit from 240 to 3000. See the plate at amazon:
Jewboer Thin Diamond Knife Tool Sharpening Stone Square Plate Whetstone 60-3000 Grit (2500 Grit) - - Amazon.com.

The plates are 7" by 3" and I need 1" by 2". If I lose some plates in the process that is ok because they are cheap.

The only power saw I have at this time is a 6" chop saw with an abrasive metal disk. Is there a particular disk that would work? Should I get a different saw (always looking for excuses).

EDIT: The amazon page says the material is "Diamond+Iron".

How do I cut diamond sharpening plates? The plates are about 1mm thick and vary in grit from 240 to 3000. See the plate at amazon:
Jewboer Thin Diamond Knife Tool Sharpening Stone Square Plate Whetstone 60-3000 Grit (2500 Grit) - - Amazon.com.

The plates are 7" by 3" and I need 1" by 2". If I lose some plates in the process that is ok because they are cheap.

The only power saw I have at this time is a 6" chop saw with an abrasive metal disk. Is there a particular disk that would work? Should I get a different saw (always looking for excuses).

Hi There,

If they are cheap, try a few flavors of abrasive cutoff wheel, you might get lucky. If that's not effective, i'm happy to slice em up for you on one of my waterjets, just pay postage...

Best, T

Thanks for the quick response. I was thinking of trying some different abrasive disks. Might be fun to see them get destroyed :-)

And, I may take you up on your offer even if I succeed. If your offer is ok I might get a cleaner job done. My customers will see these and crappy edges don't look good.

We use our Wire EDM with great success. Pop a starter hole from the non abrasive side and bobs your uncle.

Ordinary abrasive disk on angle grinder or chop saw works. Coarse ones you need to cut from the backside, otherwise the diamond layer just wears your disk away. Ones with fine grit you can cut from either side, abrasive disk is enough aggressive to plow off the fine diamond layer.

Heck, you can cut them with hack saw or even tin snips but the electroplated diamond layer might peel off partially.

Cut through the "iron" (actually steel) backing with any abrasive tool that will cut steel. When it hits the diamond grit it may wear smaller but if you start cutting on the surface opposite the diamond it should be easily doable.

To my surprise my saw went through pretty easily. There seemed to be a lot of large sparks but that might just be the steel. Time willl tell how long my saw blade will be able to do this.

Not sure why that would be a surprise...we're talking a microns thick layer of tiny diamonds that are essentially glued on. I would be far​ more surprised if it didn't walk right through.

Back