What's new
What's new

How do I find instructions on using this machine?

It’s a KO Lee Tool and Cutter Grinder.
I don’t know which one this is, but it looks similar to B600 or B800.
Vintage Machinery website or Tony’s Lathes.co.uk website will have info for you

Bernie

Thanks to both of you on this! The machine is in my recently deceased father in laws basement, sitting near a 9 inch Sheldon lathe. I couldn’t find info for what I thought was the KO company. I appreciate the info and links. Wow, grinding is it’s own discipline! I saw that there are numerous fixtures that can be used on these machines. I’ll look in the cabinet and around the shop, now that I know what I’m looking for.

The operator's manual for the Cincinnati #2 tool and cutter grinder is widely available on the web (and also physical copies). Almost all of it (and it's lengthy) will apply directly to operating the KO Lee T&C grinder.

Looks like this is a timeless design that many have marketed. It’s grimy, but i’ll clean it up before I move the beds around.

The machine is listed at 400 pounds. Anyone know any hints about partial disassembly so I can move it in 3-5 pieces?

The motor head can pull out of it's lifting base once cranked up, but I would remove the wheel and unbolt the motor.

The traveling table lifts off the bed. It may have some "retainers", but a look around while lifting the table will show.

The cabinets are not "that heavy", even with the bed on.

There, three pieces. Oh, Be sure to remove the shelf inside the cabinet ...

The base of the grinder is bolted to the top of the cabinet, at least mine was. With every thing else removed that base makes the cabinet top heavy. Strapped to a two wheel dolly is how I moved mine after some disassembly.
John

The base of the grinder is bolted to the top of the cabinet, at least mine was. With every thing else removed that base makes the cabinet top heavy. Strapped to a two wheel dolly is how I moved mine after some disassembly.
John

With everything still ON , the cabinet top is even heavier! ;-) Be careful! Tipped over machines are a sad thing.

+1 on these things tipping over easily. As stated above, strapped to a handtruck or other device should take care if most of that.

Just fyi, it looks like you have some type of “spin fixture” on the table as well. It most-likely takes 5C collets, but you will have to check that.

Bernie

Oh, yes. That is a 5C collet holder. The disk is indexed with a hole every 10 degrees. A pin is placed in one of 10 holes in the jig that goes through to the spinning disk and engages the index holes. The 10 holes in the housing are set up as a vernier so it will accurately hold to precisely to any selected one of 360 degrees. No play at all in the indexing. A bit fiddly to select every 12 degrees, for example, I imagine. I need to see if the tailstocks are present and what indexing fixtures are present.

Last edited:
KO Lee used to publish 127-page "Handbook for Use With K. O. Lee Universal Grinders Tool and Cutter Grinders". The copy I bought from them before they went belly up is copyright 1979 and it has basic instructions for several KO Lee T&C grinder models but much of it seems generic in nature, a bit like the T&C grinding booklets that Norton Abrasives used to sell. You might find a copy on Ebay, and probably a lot cheaper than the $75 KO Lee charged me.

Back