What's new
What's new

How to dress shallow angles on a diamond wheel?

jj80909

Aluminum
I need to grind some shallow grooves in 99.5% alumina rod.

How do you go about dressing specific angles on a diamond wheel and what wheel would you choose for this?

Wheel, Diamond, Ceramic Rod.JPG

I'm new to the forum, so have at me if I'm wrong guys.
You don't dress a form onto a diamond grinding wheel, the grit is not deep enough, and what would you cut it with?
There are, however, some companies out there that will embed the diamond grit onto a wheel that you have formed. I don't have personal experience with them, but can get you some more information if needed.
I would also be interested in the answer to brucecu's question about the specs on the finished part. Will ceramic like that even tolerate the grinding process without shattering?

A brake dresser set on angle makes quick work of that.
And yes order a plated wheel with any form.

for non fussy form one can hand dress with a Desmond mini.

brake wheel dresser - Yahoo Image Search Results

plated diamond wheel - Yahoo Image Search Results

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...content=Grinding & Cutoff Ad Group - Supplier

Good source for plated wheels..Great for ceramic grinding, running wet. Grit size determines surface finish needs.
Diamond Plated Grinding Wheels - Michigan | Sidley Diamond Tool Company
They might even remember me...Buck.

This is like falling off a log hard. It is easy peasy and do it all the time.
Plenty of old posts.
Maybe start here:
Brake Controlled Truing Wheels
Why the pics not clear? I do not do photo bucket or others as storage. Do I need to punch them back into the board? The site has done something to me. That is rather annoying.

Grit size and others dependent on surface finish needs and grind style.
I guess that this would be a plunge.
I see no max/min rad on the point, or surface finish call, those both sort of important in wheel choice.
You brake or motor dress these or buy plated to form.
I think most would buy a 1A1 and dress/true as it is simple if you have a way to do it.
One can buy resin wheels dressed and trued to your needs and can send them back to have them redone at low cost.
Normally done on a more complicated form like fluting wheels, and you need to keep a few in rotation.

Regular old tangent dresser and molly sticks or stubs mounted. A slow process but it works and is done often. Leaves a very tight wheel.
Knock off the corners first with a stick. Second best if you have no brake dresser or need other method.
Often done when two sides and radius.
Bob

I'm new to the forum, so have at me if I'm wrong guys.
You don't dress a form onto a diamond grinding wheel, the grit is not deep enough, and what would you cut it with?
There are, however, some companies out there that will embed the diamond grit onto a wheel that you have formed. I don't have personal experience with them, but can get you some more information if needed.
I would also be interested in the answer to brucecu's question about the specs on the finished part. Will ceramic like that even tolerate the grinding process without shattering?

Depends on the diamond wheel type. Resin bond or metal bond wheels have a relatively deep layer of grit bonded to the wheel hub and can be dressed. Electroplated wheels have one layer of grit plated to the outside of the wheel hub/form and can not be dressed.

The dressing of a bonded diamond wheel doesn't cut the diamond grit, just cuts the bonding material (binder) and/or pulls grit out of the bonding material.

And yes, ceramic can easily be ground with the correct type and grit of diamond wheel for the process.

Depends on the diamond wheel type. Resin bond or metal bond wheels have a relatively deep layer of grit bonded to the wheel hub and can be dressed. Electroplated wheels have one layer of grit plated to the outside of the wheel hub/form and can not be dressed.

The dressing of a bonded diamond wheel doesn't cut the diamond grit, just cuts the bonding material (binder) and/or pulls grit out of the bonding material.

And yes, ceramic can easily be ground with the correct type and grit of diamond wheel for the process.

Doesn't matter how long you do this stuff, there's always something new to learn. Amazing. Anyone else constantly feel like machinists have the greatest job in the world?

Back