What's new
What's new

How to fixture cutoff blades on a mag chuck

Jim Moser

Hot Rolled
I don't know much about grinding but trying to learn, I would like to flatten the tops of some 7/8 lathe cutoff blades . Only 1/8 inch wide with a taper, tried to put two side by side to get a square edge but I don't know how to hold them safely. I don't have a 6 inch wide vice , I have some 1 inch magnetic parallels and some of those warped metal holders that work for short items but I couldn't figure how to make this work. Any advise ?

As long as the blades sit right on the chuck just block the with some bits of bar just a bit lower than the blades ,as long as they can't fall over you will be good.

The vise is fine and ‘Im glad you got the job done.

Still Sable is correct as most jobs are more rigid setting on the chuck and blocked in with parallels or bar stock. The safest way is long on the chuck not across the short way of the chuck. . Often with chuck/ and vise holding one might slide a taper parallel to just bump an area of the part that overhangs a vise.

Wish I had taken a photo of all the simple and odd set-ups I have made.
*If one of our PM guys is still doing a lot if surface grinding, that would make a good book*

That would be a good thread "Odd surface grinder set-ups" and keep it to photos mostly and not may long winded stories or arguments,. A few I have made most would say "Never do that" I used to tell my fellow grinders "If you can't push it over with two fingers then it can be ground. Perhaps the toughest job a pendulum as tall as the surface grinder would go with the chuck removed to grind the end dead flat with it blocked in with bars and clamps..and me a green horn grinder hand. Guess now that job would be easy for me.

Last edited:

Back