What's new
What's new

Hydrodynamic Wheel Spindle

Pali

Aluminum
Hi

I recently picked up a Matrix Okuma Cylindrical Grinding Machine model GU 33 x 1650. The wheel spindle has hydrodynamic bearings. if any one of you have used this model or make please advice what is the clearance/play required between the spindle & bearing. It has a Force Feed Lube system. At Pulley end the play is 1.5mm and at the wheel end it is 0.5mm. I guess it needs to be same at both ends. can anyone please throw some light on this.

thank you in advance

regards

Pali

Not sure of your question. My understanding is, there is clearance for the oil. Usually you have to turn on the pump before starting the spindle or you will score it. Not sure how long it takes. One of our grinders requires 15 minutes, one takes a half hour, another one is until the oil fills the sight glass... before you can start the spindle.

I can tell you about Wotan's bearings

If it will help? What you need to find out is if the oil pressures the same in each segment of the bearing? Both front and rear. Should be ports for that near some "choke" tubes that a pressure guage can be hooked up to take reading while spindle is running. Big mess if they are not in factory specs. Spindle and bearings were ground as a matched set! Was a very high dollar repair on Wotan Boring Machines.

Clarification

Hi,

Are we talking about hydrostatic bearings or Hydrodynamic bearings?

Just want to make sure we are all talking the same jargon here.

Dave

clearence in bearing

Hi

I recently picked up a Matrix Okuma Cylindrical Grinding Machine model GU 33 x 1650. The wheel spindle has hydrodynamic bearings. if any one of you have used this model or make please advice what is the clearance/play required between the spindle & bearing. It has a Force Feed Lube system. At Pulley end the play is 1.5mm and at the wheel end it is 0.5mm. I guess it needs to be same at both ends. can anyone please throw some light on this.

thank you in advance

regards

Pali

I have used Jones and shipman machines with HYDROSTATIC bearing , Clearence was in the order of a few 0.01mm
the play on your spindle is in my opinion excesive , Oil will never fill that sort of gap!

Yes. I agree, Missed the clearance line there. Under no circumstances should it be 0.5mm regardless of bearing bearing or lubrication type.

A Cincinnati "Filmatic" hydrodynamic spindle will have 0.001 to .0015 clearance ( four pad filmatic) for a 6500 SFM spindle which is 5.25" in diameter on the wheel side. ( 480 AH Step Grinder)..... a bit looser for a 9500 SFM spindle.

Dave

Thank you all for your valuable inputs.

I got some information from the following website,

www.spieth-maschinenelemente.de

I have some pdf files from their site, please advice how i can upload them here.

Here i was able to calculate the clearance required.

warm regards

Pali

Yes I understand.

Milacron had a line of small center types called the 210 and 215 step grinders made by Danobat of Spain and rebadged in the US under the Milacron label.
Anyway the wheel head on these small machines used this kind of adjustable bearing.

If you go to the bottom of the Practical Machinist Forum front page, there is a thread on posting images and links. If you have trouble let me know.

Regards,

Dave

Back