What's new
What's new

I bought the Jones and Shipman I was lusting over

implmex

Diamond
Hi All:
So I did it...new machine day coming.
Here's what I bought:
A pristine J&S 540 from the 1970's (I believe)
Auto everything.
Dust extractor built in.
Optidress on wheelhead.
Compound sine mag chuck
Motorized spin fixture for cylindrical grinding.

Total package price comes to just over ten grand after hard negotiation. (down from almost 15K)

Did a precision check with a granite parallel, blocked up on the magnet at the Airy points with Jo blocks...I can't see a tenth deviation right to left or front to back and the grinder bucks maybe a tenth on direction reversal but I don't know if that's just the clock.
Any way it's half an order of magnitude better than my Kent was, so I'm pretty happy.

It's new machine day...I feel like a little kid at Christmas time...and I'm an old fart who shouldn't be able to get it up like this over something like this anymore.
I guess I never was a good hard headed business man but I'm a happy dude anyway!

WOO HOO HOO!!

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Attachments

• IMG_0871.jpg
    IMG_0871.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 245
What a lovely clean machine!
I love using my J&S 540, and the fine downfeed adjustment (0.00005") is a boon and so easy to access - no reaching up and over the work.
I've just changed my bearings after they'd run for 40-odd years, still ground super flat but had a little patterning on the finish. When I stripped the wheelhead, the "greased for life" grease was rock hard!

Looks like a " tech college or university " machine. Stood in a corner and hardly ever used. If you're looking for small grinding machines " J&S " are hard to beat, just like " Churchill " are if you're looking for big stuff.

Regards Tyrone.

Congrats!!!! I agree with Peter. That 0.00005" downfeed is "DA Bomb". I wish I had my downfeed at that location...I want one!

Back