What's new
What's new

I crashed my grinder. What now?

SigurdACVW

Aluminum
There is a certain MHT surface grinder at work that I use regularly. There are almost enough grinders for each toolmaker to have his own.

One day, I had one of those pink 150L wheels on and had the wheel way too low and ran it smack into the corner of my part. The spindle stalled and started up again when I backed out of the part. I noticed a slow, rhythmic vibration and noise through the Z axis handwheel that wasn't there before. The noise has since gone away. More troubling is the fact that any surface I grind now looks terrible. It looks like a real bad orange peel.

I have owned up to the foreman about the mistake. He ground with it for himself and didn't think it was that bad. The waviness is worth less than than half a tenth on my .00005 indicator. I'm frustrated that I hurt the bearings or spindle on my favorite machine. Is there anything I can do to fix it on my own, or is this a service call to the repairman?

I checked the wheel that I was using that day. It rings. I do make a habit of always ring-testing any wheel I put on.

In the last week, I discovered that the orange peel effect does seem to almost go away if I make a slow .0002-.0003" finish pass with the coolant on. I guess I can live with that.

Back