What's new
What's new

I here some noise in boyar shultz spindle. How to know when new bearings are need?

lowCountryCamo

Stainless
I have a boyar Shultz 612 delux and I here some mouse type light gritty, sweeky noises coming from the spindle. I understand they are sealed lub type. How to know when need replacement or disassemble and regrease? I think the grinder is 40 - 50 years old, could the lube have broken down or just not lubing anymore?

Hopefully the noise is just from the dust shield protecting the front bearing. Swabbing, not blowing the shield with wd-40 may soften the crud in the shield and remove the squeak. I had a similar noise on a Mitsui spindle that turned out to be crud.

Same Six Twelve Deluxe here too, my spindle noise comes and goes. Would be interested in knowing if this bearing set is still available, very little information on line.

The Challenger models are late 60's and 70's, but this is a completely different animal.

I tried to clean the around the spindle and helped a little but still hear some noise. I guess there is still lube inside. Maybe not to worry unless I start getting shitty grinds. If I can find bearing info I'll post and hope you all will do the same.:)

thanks guys

Just out of curiosity ....

Pulled the spindle nose off of mine this morning, in order of appearance ... left hand nut, flat washer, grinding wheel, inner left hand nut, tapered arbor, aluminum dust shield, bearing spacer. This exposed the outer bearing, there wasn't a number I could get off of it ... but it is a serviceable type bearing (cir-clip on the bearing shield) So this is good news for us, if bearings cant be purchased, at least we can flush them out and re grease.

I have a Challenger model so not sure if this applies or not. Mine made noise on and off and after getting into it there is a lovejoy style coupling that the rubber had gone away. After replacing it worked great again. Once again not sure if it applies but mention in case it does. If you re-grease I believe most surface grinders use a pretty special grease so look into it before tackling.

I have been doing quite a bit of research on this recently as I am rebuilding a Boyar Schultz 612.
The rear bearing is a Barden 204H angular contact.
The front bearing, if open, is a Barden 205H angular contact. If it is shielded, then it is a Barden 205SS deep groove which was used on later models.
These are ABEC 7+ bearings. They are not cheap but can be had on ebay for a reasonable price.
Of course I haven't come across every version of this grinder but the bearings seem to stay the same. YMMV

I have been doing quite a bit of research on this recently as I am rebuilding a Boyar Schultz 612.

A lot of us might be interested in taking our spindles apart and attempting to regrease bearings to see if that would help. What's the procedure for taking the spindle apart? What precautions do we need to take to prevent dust contamination of the spindle during the disassembly and reassembly? What grease to use on the bearings? Do you have some links to discussions on the net where someone else has taken their spindle apart? I recall reading that spindles and bearings are marked with an X or prick mark somewhere on the spindle or bearing race to indicate the high spot, and when reassembling the spindle (assuming the bearings were completely removed) you need to make sure those marks line up. Did you see any markings like that on your spindle / bearings?

Bearing replacement is not a big deal on these machines...you will need to machine a couple of tools to make your job easier tho. Take a look at BradJacobs 612 rebuild videos of how to remove motor. Remove spider and then remove bearing preload nut. I had to machine a clamp for the spindle to hold it while removing the preload nut. It basically clamps on the flat on the spindle to hold it while the preload nut is removed. Around front there is a large snap ring that needs to be removed so the bearing / spindle assembly can be pushed / bumped out.
SG tools.jpg

Back