What's new
What's new

J&S 540 Surface Grinder

Never seen one but it’s just a wheel dresser. Probably not as good as putting a diamond on the table to get the wheel as close to parallel.

Overheads are great because you need not lift off the part to fresh dress. They can wear out, or the bed ways wear so the dresser is not dead flat to the chuck. dress and touch skim will tell.
Common people don't turn the diamond to a new facet.

I’m trying to find out a bit more info on this 540 I picked up. It has an unusual wheel head.
Anyone seen one like this with the lever and the micrometer?

I've got exactly the same:

attachment.php

When I bought mine used, it was pretty gummed up with dried coolant. So take it apart, clean it up, and lubricate it now and then. Also a good idea to rotate the diamond from time to time to expose fresh facets.

Last edited:
Dear Buck, by the way, if you look to the left of the grinder, some of those wheels there came from you. They are now fitted to hubs and being used. Thank you! Cheers, Bruce

PS: above, you wrote that sometimes the overhead dressers get out of alignment with the ways, and you wrote "dress and touch skim will tell". I would like to check this on my machine, but don't understand exactly what "touch skim" means. Could you please elaborate?

Back