What's new
What's new

Jig grinder grinding on a taper

Kelzerman

Plastic
We bought a used jig grinder and it’s grinding on a bell taper small at the top big at the bottom. I know that the little sight markers need to be lined up or it will grind a taper. They are pretty close but obviously not correct. Is there an easy way to straighten it out, maybe with an indicator. Please help !!! Thank you.

A Moore (love* it) or something else? And is the taper a bell shape (not conical), or a cone error? What condition is the wheel or pin? How long is the grind?

More info (and pics) is always better...

*Get it?

You really need to include the make and model of any machine when asking questions about it. If it’s a Moore there are (from 30 year old memory) set screws on either side to set or remove the taper. They need not be torque tight, just lightly snugged. Use an indicator while rotating the (lack of proper nomenclature) spindle carrier. Setting taper is commonly done for stamping dies and your jig grinder may be just fine, no cause for concern if all else is in good working order. Hope this helped

Yes it’s a Moore model #3 I’m not sure where the spindle carrier is. I don’t know how to post pictures on here. Thank you for your reply

Yes I do apologize for not being more specific. It’s a Moore #3 and the holes would be more of a cone. Brand new wheel .750 deep thru hole. The bottom of the hole is approximately.0015 larger than the top. I know by moving the set screws you can change the taper. I was just hoping it would be easier to do than just getting lucky. I don’t know how to post pictures on here. Thank you for your reply.

Back