What's new
What's new

Jig Grinding Wheel Selection

joeby

Cast Iron
I have been doing a fair bit of jig grinding lately. We have two in the shop, a 450CP and a #3. I've been on the jig grinders for a few years, but there seems to be more varied work coming through lately.

Most of the parts are CPM steel (3V, 10V, 15V) or M4, occasionally some H-13 or 4140 thrown in too.

Does anyone have any wheel recommendations for jig grinding work? I am using CBN plated wheels for steel (profiles and holes) most of the time, or CBN resin bond if the finish requires them. We also have some mounted wheels that were purchased from Moore, not a lot of info on those though. Some of the Moore wheels do a good job on typical tool steels (H-13), but not so good on PM steels. I think we have most, if not all, the spindles offered by Moore so there are options for wheel speeds also.

There doesn't seem to be much information out there on jig grinding, so I'm sort of learning as I go. There are a few guys in the shop that can run them, but the type of material and part geometry is changing from what we are used to. I'm experimenting with different wheels and methods to try to speed things up a little without compromising the finished part.

Thanks,
Kevin

We used CBN wheels almost exclusively for D-2, CPM, etc. as they held up better than AlOx mounted wheels. But that was a while back and I've not run a jig-grinder since 1988. Perhaps someone with more recent experience can suggest some of the improvements made in the last few decades. I'm mildly curious about this too.

I haven't called Moore myself, the other guys in the shop had been in contact with them numerous times though. I had talked to one of their Service Techs when he was at our shop. CBN seems to be the abrasive of choice on the harder materials.

I have been ordering new wheels and having wheels replated by Diagrind, and they do a good job. The work we have been getting in lately has been out of the norm though. I've had some id grinding jobs that were stretching the limits even with the extension plate on the U axis, and a conventional wheel on the lower RPM spindles will allow more "reach". Problem is, these large id's are sometimes 15V or the like.

I appreciate the input. This has, without a doubt, been a learning experience.

Kevin

The company I work for is having a Retirement (going-out-of-business) Sale after 38 years and liquidating their entire machine shop. Lots of SOLID equipment with plenty of life still left in them including this SWEET Moore Jig Grinder (Lot # 111); they don't make them like this anymore! Know anyone with a need or room to give them a second lease on life? Someone please save it from going to the scrap-yard!
Moore.jpg
MOORE JIG GRINDER MODEL NO. 3 SERIAL G1197 You must use our Rigger - Rigging Fee $300.00

Back