What's new
What's new

Jones Shipman 540 belt drops off

str

Plastic
Just got a JS 540 surface grinder (late 60-early 70?).

Please forgive me if I use some unprofessional word - Im a beginner in machining.

Looks like its in good and working condition - mechanics, motor and hydraulic system are working. I completed machine with some missing parts like a flanges, tools and a new belt from Andmar UK. Cleaned it up and changed oils.

The problem is that belt drops-off from the motor roller (bottom roller) if I turn on the spindle motor.

I opened a front lid and figured out that motor is not fixed and "floating" on the mounting frame.
The motor and roller are "canted" and not in the same plane as top roller.

I removed one rubber damping pad motor/mounting frame and its looks pretty soft and weak.

If I understood correctly, pads are not "pushing" hard on the frame and aligning of the motor.

Are these aged pads cause the bolt drop off?

- Do I need to replace old the vibration damping pad to fix a motor?

- Who sells such pads?

- How can it be done? There are so little space inside the machine! I just can not figure out how it can be done?! :angry::rolleyes5::eek:

Attachments

• js 540_01.jpg
    js 540_01.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 189
  • js 540 problem 1.jpg
    js 540 problem 1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 398
  • js 540 problem 2.jpg
    js 540 problem 2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 179
  • js 540 problem 3.jpg
    js 540 problem 3.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 228
I have the same machine, and had the same problem. The dampers can be had from Jones & Shipman. I also bought a new belt. The spares are not very expensive. Good luck! Ole

Back