Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sameworks View Post
    Can you send me in pdf format a J&S 540 manual?
    Done, check your email.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hoping I can get some help finding new wheel adapters. My 540 is a 1969 model no 72248, SN 1848/166. Based on the voltage tag it was originally a UK or European model for 380/440 50Hz power I assume. The adapter on it has two adjustable balance weights and has a shroud for the spindle. The adapter that Sopko recommended, PN 00200 will only allow for about 1 thread of engagement on the spindle nut, so it's obviously too thick. So my questions are, is my spindle the UK type or the US type? Does anyone know the proper Sopko PN or perhaps the J&S PN? And while I'm at it, the spindle nut measures out to be a 1/2-16 LH nut. Is this nut available or will I be making one? Thanks.

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Jones & Shipman 540 Grinder Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Shuttle Guy View Post
    Does anyone know the proper Sopko PN or perhaps the J&S PN?
    The European JS 540 machines have a 15 degree included angle. The US ones have a 3 inch per foot taper, corresponding to 14.25 degrees included angle. (I had this wrong earlier, but corrected it.) So first figure out which taper angle your machine has. (My understanding from looking at their online catalog is that Sopko can provide either one.)

You can see some more details in this post and others in that thread: WTB: some 1 1/4" wheel hubs for Jones & Shipman 540 grinder

If yours is a 15-degree taper machine, you can buy used 1 1/4" hubs on Ebay UK for 40-60 pounds. New ones cost 110 pounds from Jubilee:
    540 Wheel Arbor MYFORD SPARE PARTS
    Andmar also has them but does not list a price on their web site:
    ! Parts Listing : Andmar
    I ended up purchasing a box of used hubs in the UK and having them shipped to me in Germany.

PS: I'll check the retainer nut thread on my machine tomorrow. Jubilee lists these for 15 pounds: 540 -1400-1314 Spindle L.H. Nut
    Last edited by ballen; 07-27-2018 at 09:48 PM.

4. Likes Peter S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I measured the taper and the math indicates it has an included angle of 14.25 deg. Isn't that the included angle for a 3 inch per foot taper?

I'm expecting a return call from Sopko this AM to rectify the situation.

I'm in USA and have not ordered from any UK suppliers yet. Perhaps its time to do so.

Thanks for the info.

charlie

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shuttle Guy View Post
    I measured the taper and the math indicates it has an included angle of 14.25 deg. Isn't that the included angle for a 3 inch per foot taper?
    Yes, you're right, it's 2 arctan(1.5"/12") = 2 arctan(0.125) = 14.250032697803595 degrees.

I'm in USA and have not ordered from any UK suppliers yet. Perhaps its time to do so.
    But it sounds as if your machine has a US taper, so you should probably look at US suppliers first.
    Last edited by ballen; 07-27-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd never realized that the US and rest-of-the-world grinders had a different taper. That explains why I had to turn the taper of the balancing arbor I got to make it fit the my wheel adapters (it was hardened, but a CBN insert produced a mirror finish).

8. Likes ballen liked this post
    Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Regarding the length of the taper and threaded section:

It seems that the majority of the J&S 540 are designed for a wheel thickness of up to about 1/2" = 13mm. But there are exceptions. My 540 APR machine was delivered with special a "heavy duty" spindle (four ball bearings instead of two) and this can take wheels up to 20mm = 3/4" thick. So the "native" flanges are a bit wider than the standard ones and the part of the spindle under the flange is a bit longer than the standard ones. Nevertheless I can use the standard flanges, I just need to add a thick spacer washer under the spindle nut.

I am not sure but I also think that recent versions of the 540 such as the 540X are also able to take thicker wheels. The wheel hubs for these machines might also differ slightly from the earlier standard.

If a handful of us made some careful measurements and drawings of the spindle tapers and threaded sections of our machines, it would be useful to people who are shopping for flanges.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi
    I'm looking to replace the vertical feedscrew and nut on my 540p any help,pictures advice greatly received

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi
    I'm looking to replace the vertical feedscrew and nut on my 540p any help,pictures advice greatly received

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnd1963 View Post
    Hi
    You are probably being ignored because you have hijacked a thread. I would suggest that you post a new thread in the

machine-reconditioning-scraping-and-inspection forum

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would love a copy of your 540 manual if you have one in pdf.
    Thx
    Just got a 540 automatic unit with side cabinet.